Online Gun Sales

Started by LongBlade, February 09, 2012, 09:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Just saw this headline on MSNBC.com. I'm sure some of you will have some thoughts on the subject.

QuoteSome say it's a major loophole in the law. At gun stores, you have to get a background check before you can buy a weapon. But online in most states, anyone from law-abiding citizens to dangerous criminals – even terrorists – can get just about any weapon they want, no questions asked. Our hidden camera investigation shows the deals going down in broad daylight, in suburban mall parking lots.

Hundreds of thousands of guns are for sale, on hundreds of websites. We responded and set up meetings at popular shopping malls. We bought everything from a police-grade pistol to a semiautomatic assault rifle. We did it over and over again, even hinting that our buyer is a criminal.

Source: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46316454/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/#.TzPT1eScySo
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: LongBlade on February 09, 2012, 09:12:42 AM
Just saw this headline on MSNBC.com. I'm sure some of you will have some thoughts on the subject.

QuoteSome say it's a major loophole in the law. At gun stores, you have to get a background check before you can buy a weapon. But online in most states, anyone from law-abiding citizens to dangerous criminals – even terrorists – can get just about any weapon they want, no questions asked. Our hidden camera investigation shows the deals going down in broad daylight, in suburban mall parking lots.

Hundreds of thousands of guns are for sale, on hundreds of websites. We responded and set up meetings at popular shopping malls. We bought everything from a police-grade pistol to a semiautomatic assault rifle. We did it over and over again, even hinting that our buyer is a criminal.

Source: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46316454/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/#.TzPT1eScySo

This is such fucking bullshit...excuse my language.  Face to face in state transactions of long guns have ALWAYS been legal.  There is nothing new here.  If two individuals meet in an internet forum and want to meet F2F to conduct the transaction, there is no harm no foul.  This has been going on for decades.  On the other hand, online sales where the firearm is shipped from one state to another, must still be handled care of a licensed FFL holder.  Retail firearms cannot be shipped directly from seller to buyer.  They must go to an FFL who then provides the yellow sheet that must be completed by the buyer and kept on file by the dealer who then conducts the FBI NICS check.

I'll add that in states where pistol permits are required for simple ownership, the transaction must still involve an FFL holder and cannot be conducted privately.

What's the big news here?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

I figured there was another side to the story - given the source I was pretty sure it was overlooked, too.

son_of_montfort

This is such  &%$#@# excuse my language.  Face to face in state transactions of long guns have ALWAYS been legal.  There is nothing new here.

Jeez, even I know this, and I misunderstand most every gun law.  ;) Here in the Hoosier state, you can do a personal transaction with relative ease and almost no oversight. That looks like manufactured outrage on the part of the press, IMHO.

I don't know about the online shipping part, but the face-to-face thing is old news.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Epee1 on February 09, 2012, 07:23:01 PM
+1 JH

So wait, are you saying that you, JH, and I all agree on a GUN ISSUE!!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

APOCALYPSE!!!!!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

I think I've faded into an alternate universe.

Quick - does Spock have a beard or not?

Steelgrave

Quote from: LongBlade on February 09, 2012, 08:47:44 PM
I think I've faded into an alternate universe.

Quick - does Spock have a beard or not?
LOL! In MY universe he does!

Epee1

Problem is I don't know who is slipping to the dark side.

LongBlade

Quote from: Epee1 on February 09, 2012, 11:28:21 PM
Problem is I don't know who is slipping to the dark side.

It doesn't matter - the Apocalypse is nigh.