Jerry Sandusky on trial

Started by Steelgrave, June 11, 2012, 09:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

The NCAA's decision is severe but appropriate to the crimes IMHO.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Marty Ward

^ You mean a minimum of 60 years and a maximum of 442 years in jail wasn't a clear enough message? :)
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Barthheart

Quote from: Marty Ward on July 23, 2012, 02:34:06 PM
^ You mean a minimum of 60 years and a maximum of 442 years in jail wasn't a clear enough message? :)

None of his enablers are getting any jail time..... >:(

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on July 23, 2012, 02:39:54 PM

Some of them will be. And there are going to be a bunch of civil suits against the university. The punishments aren't over by a long shot. The Big 10 could take measures against the football program in addition to what the NCAA handed down today. And the NCAA left the door open for additional penalties if it deems necessary.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

This sends an unmistakable message that if you hold any value in your school's athletic programs, the best way to protect it is not to cover up a potential crime (or overlook it) but rather to bring it forward to the proper authorities as quickly as possible. I have no problem with the message so constructed.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Marty Ward

Not yet. :)

And Paterno is dead so he's off the hook on jail time but he sure won't do anyting like THAT again.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Marty Ward

Quote from: LongBlade on July 23, 2012, 02:49:04 PM
This sends an unmistakable message that if you hold any value in your school's athletic programs, the best way to protect it is not to cover up a potential crime (or overlook it) but rather to bring it forward to the proper authorities as quickly as possible. I have no problem with the message so constructed.

Well let's hope it doesn't happen in a drama or literature Department because they could never pay the fine and there are no victories to take away  :)

Gusington

As said above, enablers like the coaches and the university president are going to be getting their own trials. If they get sentenced, then IMHO a small amount of justice will be served. Granted the victims will be haunted by what happened to them forever, but at least they will know that the perpetrator and the enablers are in prison getting their "just desserts."

The NCAA ruling today is severe but not to the point where it destroys all of Penn State. Right now anyway. It is a good step towards 'pruning' the school of the sickos that were running around without wrecking everything in the process.

The NCAA also showed some balls in taking away all of Paterno's victory's from 1998 on. One thing I don't like about that: who wants to become the NCAA's most winningest football coach by default this way?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Marty Ward on July 23, 2012, 03:08:21 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 23, 2012, 02:49:04 PM

Well let's hope it doesn't happen in a drama or literature Department because they could never pay the fine and there are no victories to take away  :)

Let's hope it doesn't happen anywhere again, ever.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Quote from: Gusington on July 23, 2012, 03:11:11 PM
The NCAA also showed some balls in taking away all of Paterno's victory's from 1998 on. One thing I don't like about that: who wants to become the NCAA's most winningest football coach by default this way?

That would be FSU's Bobby Bowden
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on July 23, 2012, 02:43:51 PM
The Big 10 could take measures against the football program in addition to what the NCAA handed down today.

I don't think the Big Ten will take any additional action.  Right now, the only thing I could think of that they could do would be to kick PSU out of the Big Ten.  And if they did that, they would need to find a school to replace it, and there are no other quality football programs around to replace PSU, unless Norte Dame is ready to join the Big Ten.  The only other way to find a replacement school is to go way out of the geographic area, and I don't see that happening.  Of course, the only thing PSU brought to the Big Ten was football, and that has just been taken away, so not sure why the Big Ten should keep them around.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Now that I think about it, the NCAA may not of handed out the Death Penalty due to PSU being part of the Big Ten.  If PSU didn't play football, then the Big Ten would be only an eleven team league, which means they could not of had a conference championship game, and that would of hit the NCAA in the wallet.  This way, the Big Ten still has the championship game and, if the Big Ten choices they can replace PSU when they find a replacement.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: OJsDad on July 23, 2012, 03:33:27 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 23, 2012, 03:11:11 PM

That would be FSU's Bobby Bowden

Actually, it's apparently Eddie Robinson at Grambling.

The thing I am most impressed by in all of these sanctions is that the athletes didn't get screwed. They can immediately switch to any other school that will have them and not have to sit out a year as is typical for transfers. OR they can actually leave the football program, but their scholarship still counts for at least this year even if they walk away from the program.

bayonetbrant

^^
The victory record they're talking about is D-IA/FBS.  Robinson was D-IAA/FCS.
There's a D-III coach closing in on 500 wins, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

I don't know if the punishment is too lenient or too harsh, but it's about I expected.  I'm surprised by Paterno's victories (going back to 1998) being vacated, but otherwise the penalties are pretty much in line what I suspected we'd see. 

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 24, 2012, 05:29:11 AM
There's a D-III coach closing in on 500 wins, too.
That would be John Gagliardi, the football coach at St. John's University, a small Catholic school just over an hour's drive from where I live.  I believe he's currently sitting at 484 victories; if he lasts another 2 seasons (the man has been there since the Korean War), he'll almost certainly break the mark. 

If JoPa is/was a legend at Penn State, then St. John's considers Gagliardi to be the right hand of God Himself.  He turned St. John's into the D-III football powerhouse that it is today. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces