>> At Least 14 Dead in Shooting at Batman Premier in Colorado <<

Started by bayonetbrant, July 20, 2012, 05:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

14 dead, 50 wounded in shooting at Colorado theater, police chief says - CNN.com

QuoteAt least 14 people were killed and 50 were wounded when a gunman opened fire during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater, Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.
The man suspected of opening fire on the crowded theater was taken into custody, Oates said.
The heavily armed suspect, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, was apprehended by police in a parking lot at the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman told CNN. The identity of the suspect has not immediately been released.
"We do no have evidence of a second gunman," Oates said.
Of the wounded, at least 20 were being treated at the University of Colorado Hospital, said spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery. All of the wounded suffered from gunshot wounds, which ranged from minor to critical, she said.
"They're arriving by police, by ambulance. Some are walking in," she said.
The shooting incident occurred during the showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 theater, police and witnesses said.
"We saw people running around and screaming," a man, who was not identified, told KUSA.
He said there was confusion in the theater when the shooting began because many believed the sound of gunfire was coming from the movie next door.
Oates said that the suspect used some sort of "smoke device" before opening fire in the theater.
Witnesses, however, told KUSA that the gunman kicked in an emergency exit door and threw a smoke bomb into the darkened theater before opening fire.

More details will be coming, since this is a breaking story.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Local report (includes video)

http://www.9news.com/news/article/278707/71/1-in-custody-14-dead-in-Aurora-movie-theater-shooting

Denver Post story

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21118201/unknown-number-people-shot-at-aurora-movie-theater

QuoteAURORA — Fourteen people were killed and about 50 were injured early Friday when shots rang out at an Aurora movie theater during a premiere showing of the new Batman movie.
A 24-year-old suspect in is custody and an apartment building in north Aurora connected to the suspect was being evacuated and searched for possible explosives, according to Police Chief Dan Oates.
Oates said there was no evidence of a second suspect, but the man in custody had made a statement about possible explosives in his residence.
Ten people died at the scene and four others died at hospitals.
Sometime before 1 a.m., police received reports of gunshots at the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center.
Dozens of ambulances and police vehicles were outside the mall, where three theaters were showing "The Dark Knight Rises." Most of the wounded were at Theater 9.
Police from all over the metro area had been called to the scene.
Witnesses told reporters that the guman was masked and clad in black.
"Witnesses tell us he released some sort of canister." Oates said. "They heard a hissing sound and some gas emerged and the gunman opened fire."
A witness, Bejamin Fernandez, 30, said he was watching the movie when he heard a series of explosions. He said that people ran from the theater and there were gunshots as police shouted 'get down!"
Frenandez said he saw people falling, including one young girl.
Salina Jordan, 19, was in Theater 8 and saw people hit in her theater. She said one girl was struck in cheek, others in stomach including a girl who looked to be around 9-years-old.
Jordan said it sounded like firecrackers until someone ran into Theater 8 yelling "they're shooting out here!"
The police came running in, telling people to run out. Some police were carrying, dragging bodies, she said.
Police set up a command post near the Dillards department store and were interviewing hundreds of possible witnesses. Many were taken by buses to Gateway High School for questioning.
Police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson says "the scene is still very active and we have little information for release at this time."
Swedish Medical Center spokeswoman Nicole Williams says two people injured at the theater have arrived at the hospital in critical condition.
She says emergency workers said there could be several more patients.
Denver Health Medical Center currently has six patients from the Aurora shooting. One is in critical condition and the other five are in currently in fair condition.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

And yes, Aurora, Colorado isn't that far from Columbine, Colorado

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

bayonetbrant

Police spokesman just went on MSNBC and told Willie Geist that the death toll has been revised downward to 12.

It was originally 10 on site and 4 more at hospitals.  The spokesman said he didn't have any more details, but the chief had told him as he was going on-air that it was 12.

And the theater was apparently about 3 blocks from the police station, and witnesses said cops were there w/in 60 seconds of the first call.
They beat the ambulances to the theater and had cops hauling wounded to the hospitals in police cars.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

I've never understood the mentality that says that one's life is so bad that the solution is to go kill a bunch of innocent people.....

He will likely be found insane, yet the crime seems to show considerable forethought. I dunno, I literally cannot wrap my mind around someone doing stuff like this. And to rub salt into the wounds, the countdown begins...now... before it becomes a political football.....

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 20, 2012, 11:05:24 AM
And to rub salt into the wounds, the countdown begins...now... before it becomes a political football.....

It already has....
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Yep. It has-

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/20/police-dept-is-sending-officers-to-dark-knight-theaters/

QuoteMayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who has waged a national campaign for stricter gun laws, also discussed the shooting on Friday. In his weekly radio appearance, he called on President Obama and the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, to more concretely address the issue of gun violence in their campaigns.

"You know, soothing words are nice," Mr. Bloomberg said, "but maybe it's time that the two people who want to be president of the United States stand up and tell us what they are going to do about it, because this is obviously a problem across the country."
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Greybriar

It's too damned bad someone in the audience didn't have their own gun. That would have saved a lot of lives, saved taxpayers a lot of money, and put an end to that nutcase.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Steelgrave

Bloomberg is such a douche.....there are a lot of politicians I don't care for, but he is way up there on my list. But at least he is keeping New York free of sugary soft drinks. And I'm derailing the thread, sorry.....

I'm kind of amazed this guy was captured alive. Usually these nutjobs are aiming for suicide-by-cop. Guess he lost his nerve.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Greybriar on July 20, 2012, 11:12:36 AM
It's too damned bad someone in the audience didn't have their own gun. That would have saved a lot of lives, saved taxpayers a lot of money, and put an end to that nutcase.

I have a carry permit, and here in Arizona many, many folks do. The very same thought crossed my mind when I heard of this incident.

mirth

Quote from: Greybriar on July 20, 2012, 11:12:36 AM

I'm a little surprised someone didn't considering it's Colorado.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus