>> At Least 14 Dead in Shooting at Batman Premier in Colorado <<

Started by bayonetbrant, July 20, 2012, 05:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

I think my heart stopped when I first read that story, as my sister was supposed to be visiting friends over there last night (she lives in Arvada, a suburb on the opposite end of Denver).  I had to wait two agonizing hours before she responded to my text that yes, she was okay...but thank God she *is* okay.  Too many other people aren't this morning... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Greybriar on July 20, 2012, 11:12:36 AM
It's too damned bad someone in the audience didn't have their own gun. That would have saved a lot of lives, saved taxpayers a lot of money, and put an end to that nutcase.

Yep...the video posted by Starfury a few days ago of an armed law-abiding citizen who foiled an armed robbery attempt showed exactly what one, calm, responsible, brave citizen can do to protect his fellows.  That episode could have easily turned into a bloodbath, and thankfully, we will never know because of the courageous acts of one individual. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Steelgrave

Quote from: Martok on July 20, 2012, 11:17:54 AM
I think my heart stopped when I first read that story, as my sister was supposed to be visiting friends over there last night (she lives in Arvada, a suburb on the opposite end of Denver).  I had to wait two agonizing hours before she responded to my text that yes, she was okay...but thank God she *is* okay.  Too many other people aren't this morning...

That's scary......glad she is ok, Martok.

mirth

Quote from: Martok on July 20, 2012, 11:17:54 AM

Wow man, that must have been an intense couple hours. Glad your sister's safe.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

I love these little things that pop up on facebook.  In their haste to make them, they always include terrible grammar and spelling mistakes.  Oh well.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Steelgrave

They're saying this guy had a Masters in Neuro-Psych and was in school for his doctorate. This is not going to be a typical court case, however it works out. Plus his apartment is apparently boobie-trapped.

W8taminute

Glad to hear your sister is ok Martok.  As to this incident, it's not a tragedy, it's an outrage.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bayonetbrant

just a note so this doesn't get out of hand:
let's NOT turn this into a gun control argument.

start something new in RPFW if that's where people want to go with it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 20, 2012, 11:14:57 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on July 20, 2012, 11:12:36 AM
It's too damned bad someone in the audience didn't have their own gun. That would have saved a lot of lives, saved taxpayers a lot of money, and put an end to that nutcase.

I have a carry permit, and here in Arizona many, many folks do. The very same thought crossed my mind when I heard of this incident.

I had that exact conversation about 10 minutes ago with Daughter #1. I told her if ten people in the audience had had CWP it would have likely stopped within a couple of shots.

I realize opinions differ, but I think it's difficult to refute the fact that those poor people were helpless and unable to defend themselves.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2012, 12:16:27 PM

So what should we talk about in this thread then? Just prayers and condolences?

I think gun control is an issue deeply intertwined in these massacres and its almost impossible to discuss them and how they can be prevented without mentioning guns. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Shelldrake on July 20, 2012, 06:24:12 AM
Way too many sociopathic nutjobs in this world.  >:(

You have to go medieval on their ass. As long as they think they will be a face seen around the world there will be more. They need to be a fly infested carcass on a pike for people to see. No name, no picture of who it was. This is what remains of a mass murderer. Ugly isnt it? 
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 20, 2012, 01:22:54 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2012, 12:16:27 PM

So what should we talk about in this thread then? Just prayers and condolences?

I think gun control is an issue deeply intertwined in these massacres and its almost impossible to discuss them and how they can be prevented without mentioning guns.

I'm with JH. It's inevitable that proponents of gun control will jump all over this. It almost (almost) goes without saying that everyone on these boards deeply regrets the incident and shares hearts and prayers with the victims and their families.

Personally, I'm more interested in the warning signs this guy produced and what might or might not have been done about them. That is the issue, because he clearly was intent on harming people - guns or no. After condolences, that is the overriding issue IMHO.

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 20, 2012, 01:28:58 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on July 20, 2012, 06:24:12 AM
Way too many sociopathic nutjobs in this world.  >:(

You have to go medieval on their ass. As long as they think they will be a face seen around the world there will be more. They need to be a fly infested carcass on a pike for people to see. No name, no picture of who it was. This is what remains of a mass murderer. Ugly isnt it?

With all due respect, I don't think we fully understand the motive yet. That kind of action might deter some, but I think we have seen many cases before where the troubled individual gave off ample warning signs which were ignored. I would postulate the same will be found here.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Life is rough all over. Weep for his troubles if you like. I don't give a $h*t. If he will kill many he is a liability to society. Might as well get some deterrence from his death.

[edited by mod for language]
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

airboy

I feel very sorry for the victoms, their families, and the people who watched this in the theater who were not shot.  Some people are just evil.

Concealed carry could have saved some of the lives - but not all.  This was a pretty challenging situation.  Dark, smoke/tear gas, nut job wearing a vest, in a loud environment where gun shot noises are not unexpected.

Even if someone were carrying concealed it would have taken some time to realize what was happening.  The shot would not have been easy in this environment.  Still, even if the shots hit the vest each hit is like being struck with a hammer.  A vest does not eliminate the laws of physics.

If I had been there with a shotgun (yeah - I know not a concealed weapon) or many of my buddies with their handguns we could have done a body shot followed by a head shot in short order.  Its hard for people who are not shooters to realize that a close range shot with a large target that is not moving very fast does not take a huge amount of skill to hit. 

Even with a handgun (which I shoot less than 20 rounds a year), I can hit 4 out of five shots in the diameter of the palm of your hand at 10 yards while standing.  I'm really not good at all with a handgun since I fire one very, very infrequently.

Every year I shoot more than a hundred birds and probably 1,000 clays with a shotgun.  All of them are small targets which are moving really fast.  I'm good - but there are lots of people who are better.  I really wish that someone with the skill who was carrying would have been in the theater.