DoD Announces Changes in Policy on Women in Combat

Started by bayonetbrant, February 10, 2012, 07:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://grognews.blogspot.com/2012/02/dod-announces-changes-to-policy-on.html

QuoteThe Defense Department announced today changes to its assignment policy which will result in 14,325 additional positions being opened to women.

"Women are contributing in unprecedented ways to the military's mission. Through their courage, sacrifice, patriotism and great skill, women have proven their ability to serve in an expanding number of roles on and off the battlefield," Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta said. "We will continue to open as many positions as possible to women so that anyone qualified to serve can have the opportunity to do so."

In a report required by the 2011 National Defense Authorization Act, the department notified Congress today it intends to make two changes to rules in place since 1994 governing the service of female members of the armed forces: first, occupations will no longer be closed to women solely because the positions are required to be co-located with ground combat units; and second, a sizable number of positions will be opened to women at the battalion level in select direct ground combat units in specific occupations. The services also will continuously assess their experience with these changes to help determine future changes to the 1994 rules.

"The services will continue to review positions and requirements to determine what additional positions may be opened, ensuring the mission is met with the best qualified and most capable, regardless of gender," Panetta said.

and also

QuoteRegarding other policy restrictions, the department recognizes there are practical barriers that require time to resolve to ensure the services maximize the safety and privacy of all service members while maintaining military readiness. Building upon analysis and experience, the services will develop gender-neutral physical standards for use by all members.

"Gender-neutral physical standards ensure all members can meet the physical demands of the duties they are assigned," acting Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Jo Ann Rooney said, "ultimately contributing to higher states of readiness through an increased understanding of the demands we place upon our members and by preventing injuries."

Full DoD news release at the link above
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

A natural move following the end of DADT.

Right or wrong move, it's in line with most of the rest of 'old' (by that I mean the original members) NATO.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Martok

So long as the physical standards are applied to both genders equally -- and are not lowered beyond what they are currently -- I'm fine with it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

Quote from: Martok on February 10, 2012, 12:15:34 PM
So long as the physical standards are applied to both genders equally -- and are not lowered beyond what they are currently -- I'm fine with it.

Then you won't be fine with.  They'll lower that standard for females.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

I'd be my life on it.

They've announced 14,325 positions opening to women, meaning that some DoD bureaucrat probably has a target of 5,000+ entering those positions- so that he/she can write a report championing gender equity.

They'll only hit those numbers if they drop the standards, same as very other country has done.