God I really hate Microsoft

Started by DoctorQuest, July 31, 2012, 05:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

Soooooo......

My wife gets a Powerpoint presentation from her work for a class she is giving. The powerpoint includes links to AVI files which, of course, do not play in Media Player 11 for some stupid reason.

I've installed the old Indeo codec (because I've had THAT problem in the past.)

I've installed the DIVX codec (becaused I've had THAT problem in the past.)

No luck.

Works fine on my Win7 machines but not her Winxp machine. The windows website is, of course, completely and utterly useless.

The saving grace at this point is the folks that produced the powerpoint apparently figured out they F**CKED up and posted WMA files on the website to replace the porked AVI files. It's not as clean a presentation due to needing to swap out of the PPS to show the videos but it will work. (Also looking at renaming the WMA to AVI to fake out the PPS. Might work.)

I'm not so much looking for help as as chance to piss and moan. But if anyone has any other bright ideas, let me know.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

^
A big easel, a huge pad of newsprint, and some squeaky colored markers?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DoctorQuest

^Trust me. That's looking pretty darned good right now.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Bison

Is it possible to install an older version of media player?  Maybe 11 dropped support.  IDK just a wild guess.

Also we have a fantasy football league forming and I need revenge for my loss to you last year.  See the sports section.

DoctorQuest

I ended up (with much trepidation and plenty of virus/malware scanning) downloading a "codec pack". Seems to have worked.

Thanks for the help and sympathy and the invite for the football league!