Open Box Items on Newegg

Started by Jarhead0331, May 14, 2019, 12:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Anybody have any experience with buying open box items on Newegg? There is a product I have my eye on, but their open box item disclaimer gives me serious pause.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

I bought an open-box Logitech HOTAS force feedback joystick, throttle, and rudder system from them. Lasted about a week and crapped out.  The gears were worn and the meshing slipped and then locked up out of sync.   Sold it off to someone for spare parts at a significant loss. 

W8taminute

I've never bought an open boxed product online and would never do so.  I'd recommend checking out a brick and mortar store (if possible) if you want to go the open box route.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 14, 2019, 02:38:45 PM
I bought an open-box Logitech HOTAS force feedback joystick, throttle, and rudder system from them. Lasted about a week and crapped out.  The gears were worn and the meshing slipped and then locked up out of sync.   Sold it off to someone for spare parts at a significant loss.

Yikes! That's disconcerting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bobarossa

Someone probably bought a new one and then returned their old one.

Jarhead0331

True, but as an "open box" item it was returned in less than 30 days and it was not returned due to a defect. If there was a problem with it and it is being resold, it would be marketed as "refurbished".

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

So NewEgg offers a 30-day refund policy on open box items and the manufacturer will warranty the open box item for 180 days...

What do you guys think? Its a substantial savings...more than $300 off of a pretty high priced item.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

If you don't think it will be a major hassle activating that refund policy if you need to, and you're sure it's an item that was just returned as unwanted, I think I'd be quite tempted to give it a punt at that saving.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 15, 2019, 11:01:43 AM
If you don't think it will be a major hassle activating that refund policy if you need to, and you're sure it's an item that was just returned as unwanted, I think I'd be quite tempted to give it a punt at that saving.

"major hassle" is very subjective. I can't be too sure. The manufacturer is ABS. All I know is I inquired about the status of the warranty on an open box item being sold by NewEgg and was told they will honor the warranty for 180 days. As far as processing that warranty, I have no idea of the process. lol.

In checking on the item today, I see that its price actually went up by about $85. Its now a savings of 26%, but its onlya couple hundred bucks less than the new item at this point. I'm really not sure what to do. lol.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog