This was only a matter of time

Started by MIGMaster, August 07, 2012, 06:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

I am convince that no matter how far technology progress and how secure we think it is there will always be someone for whatever reason who will hack it.  It sad really.  It's just like when you tell a kid not to touch the wet paint he will always touch it.  Now these kids are all grown up and told, look at the latest greatest and safest, and then they go and have to hack it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

The news I see here isn't that cloud computing got hacked - that's not really a surprise.

The news is that Apple has grown large enough to become a target of hackers. We all knew that Apple wasn't immune to hacking, just too small for most hackers to worry with.

This is one sign that's changing.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

As someone else has pointed out in one of the articles about this incident- This isn't actually 'hacking' but 'phishing' since no clever cybertools or scripts were used. The miscreants learned all they needed from the victim's web presence and from the customer service personnel at Apple and Amazon along with a little bit of lucky guessing. If the guy hadn't daisy-chained som many of his accounts together the incident would have been much less severe. BTW this kind of phishing is also called 'pretexting' in respect to the spoofing of the customer support people and has been used for eons by con men, PIs, and even Law Enforcment when they need to circumvent the need for things like search warrants.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys