Main Menu

New Rig

Started by Jarhead0331, September 12, 2019, 10:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Yeah I go with what comes with the newest rig too. That said, all of my old computers are in use with my daughters, so I have less extra cables and stuff lying around.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

New rig is here and plugged in. So far, so good. I have my work cut out for me. So much crap to install and devices to configure.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

God damn it. Having problems.

All seemed to be running well.  However, after installing DCS world and attempting to run it, I got a green screen of death. Since then, when I reboot the computer, the fans spin and all the internal lights are active, including fan lights, GFX card lights and RAM stick lights. However, the monitor is receiving no signal. It is almost as if the system is in sleep mode, but I do see the hard drive light on the tower flashing on occasion. I wonder if the 850w power supply is not enough for the 6900XT? What else could be causing this problem. I am unable to do anything with this system at the moment.  :'( :-\ :-[ :hide: :pullhair:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Is the monitor new too? If not, do you have a spare cord?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2021, 09:11:14 PM
Is the monitor new too? If not, do you have a spare cord?

No. Its definitely not a monitor problem. I have two monitors and neither is getting a signal.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 12, 2021, 05:35:39 PM

What a pisser.  Bit of a long shot, but how about re-seating the GPU and RAM?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on March 13, 2021, 04:44:48 AM

What a pisser.  Bit of a long shot, but how about re-seating the GPU and RAM?

Yes. I will do this, but want to wait for customer service so I dont void the warranty.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Queeg

All seemed to be running well.  However, after installing DCS world and attempting to run it, I got a green screen of death. Since then, when I reboot the computer, the fans spin and all the internal lights are active, including fan lights, GFX card lights and RAM stick lights. However, the monitor is receiving no signal. It is almost as if the system is in sleep mode, but I do see the hard drive light on the tower flashing on occasion. I wonder if the 850w power supply is not enough for the 6900XT? What else could be causing this problem. I am unable to do anything with this system at the moment.  :'( :-\ :-[ :hide: :pullhair:

Do you hear any beeps when you boot the PC?  The motherboard will beep an error code if, for example, the memory is unseated. 

Also, are your monitors in sleep mode?  I've read of people having problems booting with a 6900XT if the monitor has gone into sleep mode.  Try pressing the monitor button to make sure it is awake and then boot the PC.  Apparently a problem especially with Samsung monitors. 

Jarhead0331

No beeps. No sounds. No indication that anything is wrong other than a black screen. I'll check the sleep mode issue.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Queeg

If you have two monitors connected, try unplugging one and see if you can get one working and then go from there.

It could be a problem with the GPU, but there are a lot of reports of monitors being the problem with this card.  The card apparently goes into sleep mode if it doesn't quickly detect an active monitor.  Anything that interrupts or interferes with the connection to the monitor can result in the GPU going to sleep. 

Some other ideas:

Some people report that switching the cable to a different port on the monitor or GPU worked.

Or switching from Display Port to HDMI (or vice versa).

Or unplugging the power cord on the monitor, letting it power down for a minute, plugging it back in and then rebooting the PC. 

Or trying a new DP or HDMI cable. 

If you get booted again, take a look at the Freesync settings in the Radeon software. Some have reported that setting Feesync to "Standard" fixes the problem. 

Jarhead0331

^thanks. I've tried most of that. One monitor, different ports, etc. I really don't think its monitor related, but I'll keep trying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

So this morning I got it to actually boot up. However, in short order, the screen would go glitchy and reboot. This happened several times. I'm now in the blue screen windows repair menu, but I don't want to do anything without talking to customer support. For instance, I can restore the system and reinstall windows, but if it reboots in the middle of that, I'll be really screwed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Queeg

That's so frustrating. And working with customer support is the best approach.  The worst case scenario of having to return the computer is better than the worser case of voiding your warranty.  Good luck.   

jamus34

Does the cpu have on board video or do you have a spare vid card you can try swapping?

Wondering if you have a dud vid card since the system died when trying to run DCS.

If you can get the system to at least run with one of the above options then that hopefully isolates to issue to vid card.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

I got into safe mode and am running windows updates to see if that makes a difference. Maybe there was a driver problem.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog