iPad App Helps Kid with Down Syndrome

Started by LongBlade, August 16, 2012, 09:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

This is a really cool story.

QuoteProloquo2Go provides endless text-to-speech voices with a customizable library of more than 14,000 pictures and symbols, which users can configure from 9 to 36 buttons per page. The app comes with two pre-programmed vocabs to choose from, Core Word—most frequently used words in English, and Basic Communication—for new communicators depending on the personal needs and preferences of different users.

Enrique's mom previously used other methods like sign language to communicate with her son, but said that limited the number of people he could communicate with. 

"Now he can communicate with everyone," she added.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/08/16/down-syndrome-boy-able-to-communicate-like-never-before-thanks-to-ipad-apps
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Thank you for posting that, LB. I'm going to check it out.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 16, 2012, 10:19:24 AM
Thank you for posting that, LB. I'm going to check it out.

You're welcome. I love how technology is helping us go places we've never dreamed.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.