Advanced Space Tech...around the corner?

Started by Jarhead0331, December 16, 2019, 05:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/31445/recently-retired-usaf-general-makes-eyebrow-raising-claims-about-advanced-space-technology?xid=fbshare&fbclid=IwAR2_oxcqVtJa4gTzYWaFu5n3z-HnnfkTenzexk75o3EUNjqDPYZjIBsgP8k

Some notable tidbits...

"...China is already building a "Navy in space" complete with the space-based equivalents of "battleships and destroyers" which are "able to maneuver and kill and communicate with dominance, and we [the United States] are not."

Around the 12:00 mark in the speech, Kwast makes the somewhat bizarre claim that the U.S. currently possesses revolutionary technologies that could render current aerospace capabilities obsolete: "The technology is on the engineering benches today. But most Americans and most members of Congress have not had time to really look deeply at what is going on here. But I've had the benefit of 33 years of studying and becoming friends with these scientists. This technology can be built today with technology that is not developmental to deliver any human being from any place on planet Earth to any other place in less than an hour."

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

That last bit is about suborbital spaceflight. Theoretically we can already design suborbital commercial passenger shuttles that can travel from NY to Moscow in an hour. This is old news.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 16, 2019, 06:51:22 PM
That last bit is about suborbital spaceflight. Theoretically we can already design suborbital commercial passenger shuttles that can travel from NY to Moscow in an hour. This is old news.

You're referring to known present capability... My take away from the article is that he is referring to something else.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

:o

I watched his talk... I think his flight helmet was a bit too tight on his head for too long in his early career.

Lots of rhetoric and not much actual info/facts.
If we have this tech now and in can be made now, why hasn't it been? Who's holding it back and why?

Chinese Navy in space.... sure.... if you want to call a few hunter/killer sats a navy.... I'm sure the US has the same equipment already deployed.

I'm all for a new push into space, but it would be more efficient for the US and China to cooperate than compete.

Just my opinion though...