Author Topic: This can be yours for a mere $3,989.99  (Read 799 times)

Offline steve58

• Landsknecht
This can be yours for a mere $3,989.99
« on: February 07, 2020, 11:22:57 AM »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell

If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you’re probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time.   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Offline bobarossa

• Viking
  • Master of Oreos
Re: This can be yours for a mere $3,989.99
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 07:28:00 PM »
Will it have to be submersed in flourocarbon liquid (like the old Cray supercomputers) to keep from catching fire?

Offline Staggerwing

• Blunderbuster
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 08:04:05 PM »
No, no. This design will use the much more effective molten sodium cooling medium, similar to that designed for the Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion program. You may want to consider keeping the actual computing rig in a disused dry well with a sturdy concrete cap and running a very long mains power/VGA/keyboard/mouse trunk cable to the house in case the processor goes supercritical.
Vituđ ér enn - eđa hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Offline airboy

• Crossbowman
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 08:52:32 PM »
Quote:
"Question: Will it run minesweeper?"
"Answer: Yes, yes it will."

Offline SirAndrewD

• Condottieri
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 08:53:03 PM »
I just don't see why that's practical. 

My new rig is a fraction of that in cores and I haven't found anything it can't beat 60fps on.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 11:52:39 AM »
I was curious to see what a Falcon MachV would cost with that processor, but Falcon calls them "sold out" -- which considering they're custom-made units, must mean Falcon is going through a redesign phase (I hope) after the Christmas season rush.

A Talon built on a 32-core Ryzen, however, starts at $5133 (including a number of other things as well as shipping and warranty, then plus or minus various adjustments).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in chronological order. Lots and lots of order...

Dawn of Armageddon -- a narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: Insert Joke Here!

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR, lots of screenies.

Offline steve58

• Landsknecht
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 01:22:43 PM »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell

If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you’re probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time.   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 04:08:50 PM »
As impressive as that was, in other news there are "professional overclockers". Plural, as in more than one of them.

I don't see how to regard this as anything other than a victory of capitalism.  :bd: <:-) \m/
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in chronological order. Lots and lots of order...

Dawn of Armageddon -- a narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: Insert Joke Here!

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR, lots of screenies.