Main Menu

Odd Desktop Problem

Started by Gusington, August 10, 2012, 04:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

The game shortcut icons on my desktop have turned into either earth globes or Windows icons, please see attachment.

What the hell is going on here? It is not happening to any of my other application shortcuts, just the games.

Is it some kind of memory leak or something?

:o

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Are those in the same program group or subfolder? Perhaps all icons in that folder were accidentally changed. I'd also recommend a malware scan just to be safe.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

I recommend you convert to Roman Catholicism and get a priest to exorcise your gaming rig. It's the only way to be sure.

Oh, and if the monitor does a 360, leave the house immediately.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

OTOH, maybe Gus will finally discover more about that unidentified flying object near his house a while back...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 10, 2012, 07:21:24 PM
OTOH, maybe Gus will finally discover more about that unidentified flying object near his house a while back...

I'm just hoping he isn't abducted and comes back in a month complaining about how he enjoyed the aliens' anal probe.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on August 10, 2012, 07:31:49 PM

I'm just hoping he isn't abducted and comes back in a month complaining about how he enjoyed the aliens' anal probe.

Nah. He may complain, or he may enjoy. Not both.

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 10, 2012, 07:42:24 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 10, 2012, 07:31:49 PM

Nah. He may complain, or he may enjoy. Not both.

I know him pretty well. He'll complain he enjoyed it.

Bison

Try resizing your text dpi on the screen resolution page.  I've had a similar issue and that fixed it.

Gusington

My text dpi? Can you break that down a little more? Not sure what you mean.

How the hell did this thread begin to discuss anal probes? Nevermind.

'Wing they were all in a folder that I then emptied out onto my desktop.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on August 10, 2012, 10:04:32 PM
My text dpi? Can you break that down a little more? Not sure what you mean.

I thought you were a techie?

QuoteHow the hell did this thread begin to discuss anal probes? Nevermind.

Yeah, like that really needs an explanation.

Quote'Wing they were all in a folder that I then emptied out onto my desktop.

Ah, that sounds easy. You moved them and they broke. They were pointing to their executables in that folder. Moving them (might I hazard to guess that you moved them all at once?) broke those links.

I'm not sure of the easiest method to fix them. I'd suggest going one by one and restoring a shortcut to your desktop. But there may be a faster way I don't know about.

Gusington

OK I fiddled with the dpi and some of the icons have been restored. Some are still not back to normal though. LB I kept the majority of them in a 'shortcut' folder and then just moved them onto my desktop to keep track of what needed to be played. Are you saying that just moving them from the folder to the desktop would 'break' them? They worked, they still launched the games...just the graphic image was nerfed.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

junk2drive

Back in the XP days you right click the shortcut, click properties, click change icon and find what you want.

undercovergeek

They'll still do their job but the icons are looking for their cute little pictures in c/program files/my documents/desktop/shortcuts folder or whatever and now that's not the right path to the wee fellas cos you changed it

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on August 10, 2012, 10:04:32 PM
How the hell did this thread begin to discuss anal probes? Nevermind.

In best Groghead tradition, of course.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Ah...ok 'geek, I think that is what LB was alluding to above. Love me some cute little pictures.

Bob48: of course!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd