Internet monitoring by Homeland Security

Started by Epee1, February 11, 2012, 11:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

From what I've seen some kind of monitoring has been going on for years.

What is interesting is when someone watches you, you have the opportunity to watch back.

The best I can figure is that computers have complex algorithms that try to discern context, and then bubble up stuff that a human ought to look at.

We don't really know how effective it is - but we do know how effective it isn't: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=63.0

We also know that the US has been able to remain secure since 9/11, which means we're doing *something* right. We're probably spending ten times more than we should and have six times too many people in redundant positions, but the results speak for themselves. Inefficient, ham handed, narrow-minded bureaucrats notwithstanding, success is success.

The question is whether it's legal (the Constitution is still the law of the land), whether it's efficient, and whether it's really effective or just more icing on an over-saturated hyper-sugared cake.

That the legislators are "considering" this seems to be some kind of toe in the pool to test public reaction not to a new program, but rather preparation for confession that it's actually been ongoing for likely the last decade.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Epee1

Thanks LongBlade, I knew "someone" here would know something.

LongBlade

Oh, I don't *know* anything.

I *suspect* a great deal. I have very few facts, but think I see a fair set of patterns. Inevitably some of what I think I see will be wrong. But I'm pretty sure not all of it is wrong.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Martok

Hey  Bartheart!  Good to see you here. 

Quote from: Barthheart on February 14, 2012, 09:48:40 PM
It's going to start happening here too  >:(
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/02/14/technology-online-surveillance-bill.html
Yeah, that's scary stuff.  Here's hoping your Parliament manages to put the kibosh on it (although I'm naturally pessimistic). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Barthheart

Quote from: Martok on February 15, 2012, 07:15:16 AM
Hey  Bartheart!  Good to see you here. 

Quote from: Barthheart on February 14, 2012, 09:48:40 PM
It's going to start happening here too  >:(
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/02/14/technology-online-surveillance-bill.html
Yeah, that's scary stuff.  Here's hoping your Parliament manages to put the kibosh on it (although I'm naturally pessimistic).

Not much chance of that. The Conservatives have a Majority Government which means they can do pretty much what they want. So we're screwed for at least the next 4 years.......  >:(