Explosion in Beirut

Started by Labbug, August 04, 2020, 04:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

steve58

Quote from: Labbug on August 04, 2020, 04:10:56 PM
https://www.foxnews.com/world/explosion-lebanon-capital-beirut

If this is an accident, this is one heck of an accident.

Saw some reports saying something about "fireworks", but apparently Hezbollah unofficially controls the port, so I imagine the "fireworks" were military grade.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Apparently it was a fairly large stock of confiscated military grade explosives. 

Video looks like a nuke went off, but there was clearly a fire and looking like small secondaries at a storage facility right before the detonation.  There are a huge amount of nitrates being dispersed into the air.

They're saying accident but I don't if they can be entirely sure of that yet unless they 100% know the cause of the fire. 

EDIT:  Their PM is saying the conditions at the warehouse were known to be dangerous for a while.  It's been a point of contention since 2014.  And apparently not military grade, but a huge storage of explosive nitrates.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

Holy smokes and to think we fly relatively close to that harbour when coming in for landing at the airport.   :uglystupid2:
I don't want to see the effects of that explosion with its shockwave to low flying aircraft.  :-[
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SirAndrewD

Would've been bad I would imagine. 

The area around the port looks flattened. 

Images from the PM's house 1.6km away show the heavy wooden doors blown off and windows shattered.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Those clips are insane. I feel terrible for the people of Beirut and Lebanon in general...they have been through hell the last 40-50 years.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

em2nought

Holy crap, I bet there were quite a few people who needed a change of pants after that.  :o
Stolen elections have consequences.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on August 04, 2020, 05:26:10 PM
Those clips are insane. I feel terrible for the people of Beirut and Lebanon in general...they have been through hell the last 40-50 years.

Yep.  I was reading a lot of comments from citizens and they're having serious flashbacks to their youth in the wars.  A lot of extra layers of suffering as they've been trying to put that city back together for years now. 

Sad to think that was once the jewel of the eastern Med.   They've suffered enough.

airboy

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 04, 2020, 04:35:49 PM
Apparently it was a fairly large stock of confiscated military grade explosives. 

Video looks like a nuke went off, but there was clearly a fire and looking like small secondaries at a storage facility right before the detonation.  There are a huge amount of nitrates being dispersed into the air.

They're saying accident but I don't if they can be entirely sure of that yet unless they 100% know the cause of the fire. 

EDIT:  Their PM is saying the conditions at the warehouse were known to be dangerous for a while.  It's been a point of contention since 2014.  And apparently not military grade, but a huge storage of explosive nitrates.

Halifax, Canada was flattened by a munitions ship explosion in 1917.
A Fertilizer ship explosion in Texas City in 1947 caused huge destruction.

Regretfully, this sort of thing has happened before.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on August 04, 2020, 08:56:06 PM

Halifax, Canada was flattened by a munitions ship explosion in 1917.
A Fertilizer ship explosion in Texas City in 1947 caused huge destruction.

Regretfully, this sort of thing has happened before.

I'm familiar.  The age of social media and the ability to directly and immediately hear the thoughts, loss experiences and pain of the people involved surely makes it more real for people that haven't experienced it.

MikeGER

would like to see the fresh before/after satelite pics

this is a cruel kind of unwanted "simulation" what a 1kt or 2kt yield tactical nuke warhead (dialed to ground set off)  would do to a 2020 civil harbor and its surroundings  ???

i dunno how 2,75kt raw Ammonium nitrate relate to a given amount of TNT equivalent, but the shock front is slower, that's why its used for mining (you want to harvest rocks, not rocks blown to dust)

so it closer to a 1kt nuke then a 2kt

Pete Dero

Quote from: MikeGER on August 05, 2020, 09:44:22 AM
would like to see the fresh before/after satelite pics

Mapping the Damage From the Beirut Explosion : https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/08/04/world/middleeast/beirut-explosion-damage.html

MikeGER

Thanks Pete  :)
but i see only the before sat pic ... well, its a little to early for the after pic from civilian sources

Pete Dero

Quote from: MikeGER on August 05, 2020, 09:59:32 AM
Thanks Pete  :)
but i see only the before sat pic ... well, its a little to early for the after pic from civilian sources

updated my post

MikeGER