Azerbaijan and Armenia clash over disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region

Started by fran, September 27, 2020, 07:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fran

Jarhead0331

They look like T72s to me. I don't think the Azerbaijani army fields T80s, but they do have T90s too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I remember first reading about Nagarno Karbakh back around 1994 when I was in college...one of those conflicts that will never end.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

^There is media chatter, as always, that Turkey and Russia may intervene in a wider regional war.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Here's an interesting 30-second clip posted earlier today that shows an Armenian position under fire.  No blood or bodies in the video, it's relatively SFW.  It starts out with a closeup shot of what appears to be the uniform and service rifle of an Armenian rifleman.  He appears to be armed with an SKS, if I'm not mistken?  Can anyone correct me there?

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Even though it was a short clip, the fear was very real in that guy's face in the first second.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 09, 2020, 04:43:21 PM
Here's an interesting 30-second clip posted earlier today that shows an Armenian position under fire.  No blood or bodies in the video, it's relatively SFW.  It starts out with a closeup shot of what appears to be the uniform and service rifle of an Armenian rifleman.  He appears to be armed with an SKS, if I'm not mistken?  Can anyone correct me there?

Looks more like an AK to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Ah I think you're right, the mag is just hidden.... an SKS seemed real outdated, even for Armenia  :crazy2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 09, 2020, 05:00:48 PM
Ah I think you're right, the mag is just hidden.... an SKS seemed real outdated, even for Armenia  :crazy2:

It's such a quick glimpse so it's a tough call, but here are are a couple of pics of one of my SKS rifles. In the video, you don't see the bolt handle on the right side of the receiver and the barrel length from the foregrip and front sight post are characteristic of an AK.

It wouldn't surprise me if both belligerents were still using the SKS with various reserve and/or militia units.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Apparently the Armenians are getting whooped by Azerbaijani drones.

- MengJiao

Gusington

The world seems to have forgotten all about it. Hard to watch the ones with people clearly getting killed.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Someone should lend the Armenians a few camo nets.  They seem to really need em.   #:-) 

Agreed Gus, though I'll admit the tank ammo cooking off at 2:01 is quite a cool shot.

- MengJiao

Gusington

Definitely cool shots mixed in there...I just hope the crew of the tank was able to escape, etc. It's clear in some of the shots that there was no escape and I'm willing to bet that most of soldiers are barely in their 20s.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd