Windows 10 Breaking PC's?

Started by Labbug, October 20, 2020, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labbug

Jarhead0331

I had an issue with an update last week. I installed it and on reboot I got a strange white screen of death. The screen was white and the taskbar was flashing. My hard drive also appeared to be stuck in some sort of a strange loop. I had to do a hard restart into safe mode and then uninstall the last quality of life update to get it working again.

No problems since, so I presume the update was in fact the culprit. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Ugh, I don't want to see this a month before I upgrade :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

No problems on my PC.  Just checked my updates and says I'm up-to-date.  However, I only seem to have one of the 2 suspect/recent updates (KB4577671) installed.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bobarossa

Quote from: steve58 on October 20, 2020, 09:47:50 AM
No problems on my PC.  Just checked my updates and says I'm up-to-date.  However, I only seem to have one of the 2 suspect/recent updates (KB4577671) installed.
My PC updated on the 14th (day after update in article) but I only have the other update (KB4579311).  My PC works fine.  Perhaps it was the combination of the two?
I generally pause updates so they only happen every couple weeks.  Gives me a chance to notice events like this.

solops

Windows has been breaking computers since v3.1. A long and unbroken tradition.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Boggit

I'm still using Win 7, which is nice and stable. My daughter seems to have problems with Win10 on her laptop and I'm glad I didn't update.

Annoyingly though I have a set of updates that consistently fail and try to reinstall when I close down my machine. :pullhair: Can anyone advise how I can get rid of these files as they won't install anyway.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

W8taminute

I have a Win10 machine that is now about 3 years old.  Up until the 2nd to last update my computer has had no issues.  Now however, ever since the November update I got, my computer will not put itself to sleep on its own. 

I have to manually search for updates after every auto update now and install yet another update which does not show up until after I manually search for it.  When I do all of this my computer will put itself to sleep after I leave it for a while.  If I don't manually search for updates from time to time my computer will not put itself to sleep.

Not a show stopper but I feel that this observation should be reported here in case some one else is having a similar issue.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Quote from: W8taminute on December 04, 2020, 03:40:16 PM
I have a Win10 machine that is now about 3 years old.  Up until the 2nd to last update my computer has had no issues.  Now however, ever since the November update I got, my computer will not put itself to sleep on its own. 

A couple of months ago I had the same issue: my PC would not go to sleep. After some trial and error the culprit was my Razer Tartarus button device that blocked it. Now I only plug it in when I am playing, and remove it when I leave the PC, and it goes to sleep fine again. Maybe it is also for you some hardware device driver that doesn't play nice. (and that can be triggered by a Windows update when the manufacturer has used undocumented features).

W8taminute

Quote from: Lotti Fuehrscheim on December 04, 2020, 03:51:06 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 04, 2020, 03:40:16 PM

A couple of months ago I had the same issue: my PC would not go to sleep. After some trial and error the culprit was my Razer Tartarus button device that blocked it. Now I only plug it in when I am playing, and remove it when I leave the PC, and it goes to sleep fine again. Maybe it is also for you some hardware device driver that doesn't play nice. (and that can be triggered by a Windows update when the manufacturer has used undocumented features).

Oh that's very interesting.  I have a Razer gaming keyboard.  Maybe there could be something going on with my Razor keyboard software.  I will check tonight!   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk