US Military Had Role in UAE-Israel Peace Deal

Started by airboy, October 21, 2020, 08:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

From 10/20 WSJ - buried deep on page A8.

On August 11, 2017 a UAE military helicopter filled with soldiers attacking al Qaeda in Yemen crashed killing 8 and seriously wounding 7 including a member of the UAE royal family.  After "diplomatic contacts," US Special Forces went in and rescued the group including the member of the Royal Family.

This built a lot of good will between the UAE and the USA, which helped get the peace deal approved.  Maj. General Miguel Correa was at the center of the mission, and had a large behind the scenes role in the peace negotiations.

This was the first I've heard of it.  There was also a picture of (Ret. Correa) and the Prince in a wheel chair.

It is all logical, but I have no idea how important this mission was to getting the peace deal the Trump Administration brokered between the UAE & Israel.

Gusington

Seems to have paid off big time, although I personally am not really a fan of US troops being used to save royals, even if the UAE was engaged against Al-Qaeda. I suppose the 'enemy of my enemy' is my friend.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Some are saying the potential lifting of the label on Sudan as a, 'Terrorist' nation by the Trump Administration is a precursor to an Israel/Sudan Peace deal and formal recognition. Would be nice.  :peace:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

....well, that leads into the question of what the ground situation is for Sudan and terror/pirate ops, right?

But maybe the point is that if the government makes a bid for legitimacy over-against the criminal and terror factors, then they can expect big-gun help in policing out the problems.

For some reason I want to play ARVN again in Fire on the Lake...  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!