I can't figure out this bug. Virus?

Started by Toonces, December 16, 2020, 01:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

'sup fellas.

I've been Googling this on my laptop and am at my end and need to seek outside help.

Background:  Desktop computer was running fine.  I left for a while.  When I came back, the computer was doing this thing where, anytime I opened a program or folder, I get this second pop-up window in the middle.  The middle one can't be used except to close it with the X which closes both windows.  If I click on the background window, the middle window disappears for about a 1/2 second and then pops back up.

If I open two windows/folders at the same time, the window in use swaps back and forth rapidly, like every 1/2-3/4 of a second.

I've tried restarting and then the keyboard wouldn't work at all, except for the enter key.

I plugged in a corded USB keyboard, tried different USB ports, etc. and the keyboard won't work; it lights up but won't work when Windows boots. 

I went into the BIOS and the keyboard works in the BIOS.

After playing with some BIOS settings, the computer re-booted with the keyboard working, but this crazy windows state again. 

I'm currently installing a Windows update, hoping that that fixes things.  I didn't seen any Windows updates downloaded yesterday.

I'm thinking software issue.  I ran Windows Defender and came up clean for viruses, but that doesn't mean one's not on there.  Whatever happened, it happened while the computer was sleeping while I was away from it for an hour or two.

Help me, Grogheads.  You're my only hope!

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

OMG...I thought this was the China thread.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Also, I haven't been to any weird websites or any of that nonsense where I might pick up a virus.  My internet browsing is very limited to a few trustworthy sites. 

Additionally, I haven't downloaded any games, mods, programs, or files recently that would have inadvertently installed something malicious.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Windows Defender, or whatever that default AV with Win 10 is.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Toonces on December 16, 2020, 01:47:09 PM
Also, I haven't been to any weird websites or any of that nonsense where I might pick up a virus.

But you are on this website  :2funny:.

Did you try this : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-troubleshooter-for-windows-10-19bc41ca-ad72-ae67-af3c-89ce169755dd

If you get an error code while downloading and installing Windows updates, the Update Troubleshooter can help resolve the problem.

Select Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters. Next, under Get up and running, select Windows Update > Run the troubleshooter.

When the troubleshooter is finished running, it's a good idea to restart your device.

Next, check for new updates. Select Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update   > Check for updates, and then install any available updates.

In the picture I see the settings app so maybe there is an issue there :

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-vi/000126569/windows-10-the-settings-app-does-not-open-or-flashes-and-closes-instantaneously?lwp=rt

This issue is most common for users who have upgraded to Windows 10 from an earlier Windows operating system.

Microsoft expects you to use the Windows 10 troubleshooter.

Gusington

^Hmm so maybe it's not a virus problem at all, just a Windows issue.

Have you run a diagnostic, Commander?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Man alive, this one was an embarrassing bitch to figure out.

So after about 5 hours of various troubleshooting I gave up.  I could get the keyboard to work in safe mode, but couldn't do a system restore in safe mode; and I couldn't boot in normal mode because the keyboard wouldn't work to allow me to type in my password.  Same with the system troubleshooting; without my password I couldn't access administrator functions.

I finally decided to suck it up, sure it was a virus, and took it to a local PC repair.  Of course, when he plugged it in everything worked fine.  Color me red.

I brought it home, plugged it in, still not working.

Ok, let's see.  It was working fine yesterday.  I leave.  Wife tries to log on to the computer and says the mouse wasn't working - probably not charged.  Immediately afterward, the computer starts acting weird when I charge the mouse.  Could the mouse be the culprit?

I unplug the USB connector for the wireless GAMING mouse and the keyboard suddenly works.

WTF?  I start goofing with this gaming mouse with its billion of buttons and settings, and what do you know?  One of the damn buttons is stuck in the "pressed" position.

Aye, yai, yai.  I spent an entire day troubleshooting my computer only to find it was a stuck mouse button.  Unreal.

I just called the PC repair shop up to tell them what was wrong so they could laugh at me.   :-[   :-[   ::)   8)

Jarhead0331

Man! That's so annoying. But glad it was nothing serious.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Toonces on December 16, 2020, 06:17:10 PM
Man alive, this one was an embarrassing bitch to figure out.

.....and what do you know?  One of the damn buttons is stuck in the "pressed" position.

Been there...same thing happened to me. Also had similar issue with stuck key on keyboard.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.