Plank on Bulkhead Ship Models

Started by Smuckatelli, January 28, 2021, 11:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smuckatelli

Lesson learned: I used a fan to come up with the width of the planks at the bow. I should have used a compass instead. There was really no need to make the first three strakes this thin. With the curling iron I could have had all planks the same width.

Smuckatelli

Lesson learned use insta-cure cyanoacrylate 1-3 second glue to hold the piece unplace while the wood glue dries. The clamp that I used to hold the wale line in place put too much pressure on the wood. If you look close you can see the port side wale line flares up. This had the effect of throwing off the width of the strakes on the port side. Not major issues, once she is painted and fitted out it would be very difficult to find these mistakes.

Smuckatelli

Tonight I installed the molding strip, it runs the length of the ship. I rounded the squire strip of wood.. The outboard covering strip towards stern of the ship, pretty easy as were applying the rail caps. On the stern I made the rail using my trusty curling iron. I also installed the rail caps. Next step is priming the hull.

Toonces

That is really, really cool.  I've never built a wooden ship but I did look into trying it a few years back.  I wanted to build a model of the whaling ship they have in Mystic, CT (can't remember the name now).  It looked pretty complicated but there were also some models of just the little row boats the harpooners used that looked like a good starter kit.

It's funny but I've actually been contemplating getting back into building plastic models.  I think a hobby like this would be good for me.  I've never had very much patience and a project like that would really help me to simply slow down and enjoy the process rather than the destination.  I've never been good at that.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Actually, here it is: Charles W. Morgan.

They do sell it in the plank on bulkhead format as well as plastic, but this is way out of my league.

Something like this is more what I had in mind:

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Smuckatelli

Toonces, I strongly recommend that you get:

https://www.micromark.com/Model-Shipways-MS2140-Charles-Morgan-Whale-Bark-Ship-Kit-1-64

Looking at the finished pictures....you easily get the feeling that it is overwhelming.

I guarantee you, it isn't too much to handle. There is no hurry to get it done, on average.....it will take about 500 hours of work due to adjusting screwups....wood is very forgiving, don't like how a piece turned out...make a new one. I've already done this with the scrolls, starboard planking above the wale and numerous planks below the wale. It is very easy to stop work, put it away and go on with life when new priorities pop up. It also very easy to start back up when you feel the need to mellow out, de-stress, take a breather from life.

For my first completed ship; started the build in 96, finished in 99 or 00, I got married so the ship was put on the back burner for a while. I used a local hobby shop in San Clemente and Cadiz to get supplies and parts. Now, when I need something, I order it online and I get it within 2 days.

I've known you for a while, this is the ship that you want to build as your first.

Smuckatelli

Primer applied tonight. The primer is used to prep the wood for painting....it also highlights flaws in the build. Wood filler and a lot of sanding in my future.

Smuckatelli

Put wood filler in the areas that the primer pointed out...then sanded the primer off. Used the airbrush to apply the first color. Probably another coat after a light sanding tomorrow. Once that color is set, I'll yellow ochre around the gunboats and top rails. I'm holding off on the waterline for last....it is tallow kind of off white. Working with acrylic paint is a lot easier that enamel. Thin it with water, wash hands with water...... I'm going to use the airbrush as much as possible with this boat. Even, thin coats and it shows the grain the wood.

Smuckatelli

All in all... I'm okay with how the lines came out. The tape worked, some areas bleed through but some good lessons learned, multiple thin coats... the starboard side should turn out better.

Smuckatelli

Painted the port side rail caps...pretty easy. I filled in the scroll concave portions with black paint.  I need to hold off taping the starboard side until tomorrow night. The paint from today needs to set

Smuckatelli

I finished the bottom of the hull tonight. After the 3rd coat, I noticed that there were spots 'soaking up the paint. I ended up putting another primer coat on, no problem with soaking after that. I finished off with 2 more coats of the hull paint. Because airbrushing puts a very thin coat of paint on, there is only a 20-30 minute wait time for another coat. There are some areas that I need to touch up where the paint meets the other color.

Smuckatelli

I also made a couple test runs for the weather deck planks earlier. The light colored strakes are how they come with the model. The darker colored strakes; first I rub a pencil on the sides to simulate caulking. Next step was punching two small holes on the ends to simulate tree nails and then a light stain was applied. The reason for 2 stained samples was to get a feel for how it would look on the boat. By scale the planks should be 5" which comes out to about 26'. The shorter strakes are 2.5". I took advise from my daughters and will be going with the 5" planks to keep the deck from being too cluttered.

Smuckatelli

I built the gun deck tonight, initially I was going to make the planks 2.5" but then our Surface Warfare Officer kicked in and said keep it to scale, if not, it would look like an arts & craft project. So, I kept it to scale and made the planks 5" in length.

Smuckatelli

Glue dried so I figured I would do a quick test fit with the gun deck.

Smuckatelli

Found a shortage with the kit tonight. There was 2 11" strips of grates, all together 22". Not enough to finish one covering.... I'm going to have to 66" more. I glued the gun deck on the hull. I'll fill in the gaps on the deck planks next week.