Trials and tribulations of owning a house

Started by Jarhead0331, February 06, 2021, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^The Wife and I fought about it. She won, we moved the furniture and in-wall shelving togther :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on January 25, 2023, 12:44:56 PM^The Wife and I fought about it. She won, we moved the furniture and in-wall shelving togther :/
so you pick it up, she tells you where to put it?  :rollingpin:

Gusington

^'I pick things up AND put them down.' I can also paint, wallpaper and do simple electrical/plumbing. Beyond that I am a knuckle-dragging knave.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

wtf is actually wrong with you people.

Gus drops "Lovesac" and you go on about floors!
that fruit dont hang any lower!

so Gus, please do tell about your new Lovesac and the interaction of the sub-woofer with said sac.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gusington

The subwoofer makes my Lovesac quiver like a bowl of Jell-o  :ThumbsUp:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Con

Light at the end of the tunnel
We have been dealing with a massive basement flood that took place while we were away at Thanksgiving.  Posting about it now since we are almost at the finish line of fixing it.

Ironically it failed due to a housing leak in the kitchen refrigerator icemaker filter on the main floor.  Ironic because my current role is as a director of lifescience filtration division with about 30 R&D bioproduct engineers working for me.  This makes me an expert witness in the failure mode and an object of much ball busting by my current organizations leadership team. 

We had about a foot + of water pour into our dry finished basement over two days through left over and disconnected heating vents (house was built in 1890).  With water removal, remediation, all the damage and new walls ceiling floor etc we will be in for about $50-75K.  The damaging power of water is impressive.

Right now we are waiting for the new cement floor to cure and we decided to go with a staining technique for the cement followed by satin epoxy and wax to protect the floor.  We decided that putting in new vinyl plank floors/carpet/linoleum (all types of floors we have tried previously) in a basement is just a recipe for future disaster.  With water heaters, washers and dryers and twin boys there is always something happening down there that will inevitably lead to water damage.  Until this event we had got away with some wet vac remediation but they found mold from the previous minor floods and we decided to rip everything for flooring out that water can get under.

The other thing we are installing is an automatic water shut off valve on the main line that can detect when a leak occurs.

Con

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Con

Maybe congrats
Insurance is paying it all including damages and is suing the crap out of the filter manufacturer (whose name I shall leave off).

I volunteered to be an expert witness and sent photos of the damaged filter to my R&D team who confirmed some technical aspects of possible root cause failure (the insurance company took the actual filter for their own testing but with some expert guidance on where to look).  I gave my name and title to the insurance company to provide the filter manufacturer legal team to let them know that they really F'd up (our analysis is it was a bad batch of resin in mfg of the molding housing which is a major CAPA).

If one of my filters had failed in a similar way in a bioproduction plant we would be looking at north of $20M in damages depending on the molecule being manufacture and ancillary damage and shutdown time to the clean rooms.

Gusington

Maybe turn your house into a bioproduction plant for future coverage  :tophat:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

isnt your lovesac already a bioproduction plant of sorts?

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Damn Con. That's tough. Glad it'll work-out for you in the long run though. And what Gus' lovesac does should be between him and his Significant Other(s).  :dancingmonkey:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.