Trials and tribulations of owning a house

Started by Jarhead0331, February 06, 2021, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

how long ago did he give you a quote?  materials are through the roof right now, when they're available, and he probably cant get the job done for what he quoted you.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

nobodyjune61944

The tiny tiles in the bathroom are a dirt & mildew magnet. 

We had 3 bathrooms renovated this winter - one was gutted with a custom shower installation.  Others were retiled with new toilets, cabinets & fixtures (including lighting).

We got the best contractor in the region - he charged 10% more.  However, he had a crew of 12 for demolition and a smaller crew of installers.  We did everything right (had all of the materials on hand, did not change anything (except where there was a plumbing fit issue), and did not bother the crew.  98% of the work was done in 4 days.  The last tiny number of fiddly bits in one bathroom (replacing controls in one tub/shower) came a month later when the conversion kit came in - but the bathroom was 100% functional the entire time after the 4 day period.

I've found in construction that at best you can get two of these three: cheap, fast, good.  If you try for all 3 - you get a disaster.  We were willing to pay a 10% premium for fast & good - because we did not want this job lasting for months on end.  As a result - this was about as painless as you ever hear of.

Dammit Carl!

Dang Demjansk1942; hope that ain't your only bathroom if you do start demo.

GDS_Starfury

I could recount stories of bad contractors but it might trigger ptsd in JH.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

demjansk1942

It was 2 months ago the quote, I ended up buying everything.  Problem is, if I email, please respond back, if you can't do it, no problem, I'll just wait now

You guys think prices will go back down?

I signed the quote and mailed to them in March, it's not a contract so they are not obligated, correct?

GDS_Starfury

no contract no obligation if no money was involved.  but that might be different state to state and more of a JH question.

steve58

So we just had some new kitchen countertops+sinks installed today....solid surface so nothing fancy like quartz or granite.  They look pretty nice.  I ripped out the old laminate ones and sinks to save about $500.  still need to hook up the bar sink/faucet.

JH, this made me wonder if your chimney/water problems ever got resolved?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

I'm honestly not 100% sure. That contractor replaced the collapsed throat damper with a top damper. It is hard to tell if there has been any further deterioration since. Nothing entirely obvious.

Of course, a new problem I noticed the other day in very heavy rain, was a load raindrop sound that sounds like the rain hitting the top damper and echoing throughout the chimney. As annoying as that is, I hope that is, in fact, all it is. Obviously if its actually rainwater dripping inside the chimney, that would be much worse. I did open the fireplace up and look inside and it did look very dry, so hopefully no drops inside.

Always something...now we need to redo the walkway, repave the driveway, repair some landscape lights that got shorted out by a lightning strike and replace the doors to my main entrance, which with current lumber prices, is going to cost a small fortune.  :uglystupid2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

Well, hopefully, they've got it fixed up for you.

OK, I've got an electrician-type question for all ye Grogs.

We just had some new countertops and sinks installed in the kitchen.  Previous owners had installed a garbage disposal under the main sink.  We never used it since we have a septic tank and I've read that septic tanks and disposals don't mix well.

The disposal was wired directly to a wall switch under the sink and as far as I can tell, the switch was on its own circuit breaker.

I have the circuit breaker off and the disposal is gone.  Right now I have the wiring exposed and am ready to either just cap off the wires or just install an outlet since most new disposals are plugins (for any future owners).

I've been surfing the internet and I'm pretty sure I can go either route, kinda leaning towards the outlet.  I've installed many a light fixture, even a dishwasher, but replacing a wall switch with an outlet would be a first.  Just looking for a little feedback from some who are more electrical-savy.  TIA

p.s.  speaking of lightning strikes.  Our neighbors are currently adding a MIL addition to their house.  The contractors had parked a good sized tractor? with a rear scoop and a front loader right about at the property line last Thursday and not too far from both our Comcast hookup box.  A few hours later our area gets hit with a bad thunderstorm (I'm talking purple on the radar bad).  I'm looking out the front windows and see a lightning strike on the tractor's rear scoop.  Fortunately it wasn't a real bad strike (for us), but bad enough to fry all our neighbors electronics.  Unfortunately for them, their cable line was all above ground since their contractor had previously cut the line at the start of construction.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Dammit Carl!

Seem to think that if you've the wiring, then an outlet would be a snap; power on one side, neutral on the other and ground hooked up.  Get a good tester and there you go.

-think I've done a outlet before, but am hazy.  Put up many a damn light as the Mrs. has a unnatural hatred to ceiling fans.  Loves stupid, useless chandeliers, though.

GDS_Starfury

LEDs can be tricky because of the frequency of the low voltage.  if these were normal lights from 10 years ago it can be simple.

as for the outlet, just install a GFI outlet.  its pretty much the same as installing a light switch and the instructions will be very clear.

steve58

Yeah, probably just going to go the outlet route.

Jarhead0331

So the lightening strike seems to have taken out more than just my transformers for the landscape lighting. It also killed some ports in my router and now one of the boards on my Samsung TV in my great room seems to have shit the bed. TV still works, but none of the HDMI ports are detecting any devices. It will probably cost me between $250 and $450 to repair. I can get a new Samsung or LG TV in the $600 range...

Decisions, decisions...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Definitely just get a new tv. And maybe consider moving because it sounds like Satan is your new roommate.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog