Hacking attack on Florida water plant

Started by Uberhaus, February 08, 2021, 06:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55989843

The BBC is reporting that a hacker tried to increase the amount of Sodium Hydroxide (lye) in the water from 100 parts per million to 11100 ppm.  Fortunately, the change was spotted and corrected by an observant worker. 

The report states that an attack took place in 2016 in the US and these attempted attacks happen often in Israel.  NaOH is very unpleasant to work with, the solid can burn skin, blind, ingestion is fatal.  If vigilance fails, I hope that all such attacks would fail due to lack of material to raise the ppm 111 times, or that the material would be insoluble.  A better chemist than me might be able to calculate whether it is soluble at that ppm.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Labbug

NaOH is highly soluble in water, about 1000 grams per liter of water at 25 centigrade.  On a weigh basis that is 500,000 ppm.

Uberhaus

Quote from: Labbug on February 08, 2021, 09:27:38 PM
NaOH is highly soluble in water, about 1000 grams per liter of water at 25 centigrade.  On a weigh basis that is 500,000 ppm.

A kg per L?!!! Less than a gram is unpleasant to work with and requires PPE.  Hopefully, it is not dispensed from huge volume tanks or alarms are programmed (and can't be turned off) when a ludicrous amount is flowing.

Sounds like Starfury will have to bathe in beer.