Suez Canal -- unblocked

Started by steve58, March 24, 2021, 04:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Kinda surprised this has never happened before.  A massive container ship has put a cork in the Suez Canal.  Hopefully they can get things moving again quickly.  Thanks again Slo Joe for shutting down the Keystone XL.  :idiot2:

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

W8taminute

A lot of shipping goes through the canal.  I wonder how this will affect world wide supply chains?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Silent Disapproval Robot

Bitcoin has tanked because of it and oil is skyrocketing.

Lots of spicy memes about the ship captain being a (hot) woman.  I thought they used local pilots in the canal though.

I was going to post a link to a YouTube shitpost about it but on second thought, probably best not to.

Dammit Carl!

Welp.  Wonder how this is going to work it's way into conflict planning by nations from here forward.

-positive that Iran sees this and is like, "Aw shit!  Awesome!  We got any large ships we can use to do this?  How 'bout enough explosives?  Nice."

Gusington

The ship captain is a hot woman???

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Possibly.  Might just be the 4chan nerds jumping to conclusions.

NSFW video

Gusington

If that is her then I can verify that she is indeed hot (hawt).

But possibly a not very good ship's captain.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Still, gotta wonder at whomever was driving the thing thinking that taking a right turn in what is arguably one of the longest straightaways out there was a good idea.

Blaming the GPS, I bet.

"I swear, it said there was a turn here!"

Tripoli

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on March 25, 2021, 11:43:08 AM
Still, gotta wonder at whomever was driving the thing thinking that taking a right turn in what is arguably one of the longest straightaways out there was a good idea.

Blaming the GPS, I bet.

"I swear, it said there was a turn here!"

Two days agoin, I read on Zero Hedge  that the accident was caused by a steering casualty (NFI) while while there were high winds in the area.  I can't confirm that, but I could see that such a sequence of events could cause an accident.  The question in my mind is if the ship had a standby/emergency steering station, and whether it was operating and manned.   These are stations that have a direct hydraulic connection to the rudder and are typically located far aft and below the waterline. In USN ships, we did, and we had them manned during evolutions such as this.

Addendum: Apparently the wind was gusting as much as 30 mph at the time.  While that is significant, especially given the sail area of the M/V Ever Given, those winds are not so high as to be the sole cause of the accident.  So, I'm guessing either a steering casualty, and/or negligence in addition to the wind.
FWIW, USN ships always had a canal pilot onboard for the entire length of the transit.  I assume merchant traffic must similarly have a qualified pilot onboard.
https://www.localdvm.com/news/international/explainer-what-we-know-about-a-ship-blocking-the-suez-canal/
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Tripoli on March 25, 2021, 01:27:32 PM
Two days agoin, I read on Zero Hedge  that the accident was caused by a steering casualty (NFI) while while there were high winds in the area.  I can't confirm that, but I could see that such a sequence of events could cause an accident.  The question in my mind is if the ship had a standby/emergency steering station, and whether it was operating and manned.   These are stations that have a direct hydraulic connection to the rudder and are typically located far aft and below the waterline. In USN ships, we did, and we had them manned during evolutions such as this.

Jeez.  Can't even imagine the complexity involved with steering such a huge beast not to mention just how much room is needed to do so.

steve58

While searching for more info on this incident, I've come across some websites that show all kinds of marine traffic.  Don't think military traffic shows up, but, damn, there are a hell of a lot of ships floating around.

You can search for the Ever Given and zoom in...even shows the support ships trying to refloat her.  Very cool.

https://www.radar-tracker.com/marine_traffic/
https://www.marinevesseltraffic.com/

Silent Disapproval Robot

They showed the steering track as reported by GPS on that video I posted.  It starts at around the 3 minute mark.  I readily admit to knowing nothing about how these ships usually manoeuvre but the track looks very odd to me. I wonder if the system was buggered because some of the turns seem like they'd just be wasting fuel.  (and seem very, very tight.  Not sure what the map scale is though so that might just be an illusion)

steve58

The ship could have been in a "holding pattern" waiting its turn to enter the canal.  I'm guessing ships just can't enter/leave the canal willy nilly. There must be some kind of traffic control similar to air traffic.

...still, an interesting pattern ::)

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on March 25, 2021, 11:30:26 AM
If that is her then I can verify that she is indeed hot (hawt).

But possibly a not very good ship's captain.

She is definitely hot (and I wouldn't mind serving under her :-"), but she is not the captain of the Ever Given

https://maritime.direct/en/2021/03/25/egypts-first-female-captain-targeted-by-trolls-after-suez-accident/