Suez Canal -- unblocked

Started by steve58, March 24, 2021, 04:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

Man.  I'm now glad I just owed a couple of hundred in taxes to the Man.

Pete Dero

As Steve58 posted before they blamed the wrong person.  Now she gave an interview to the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56615521

Marwa Elselehdar: 'I was blamed for blocking the Suez Canal'

News had broken about a huge container ship, the Ever Given, that had become wedged across the Suez Canal, bringing one of world's major shipping routes to a halt.

But as she checked her phone, online rumours were saying she was to blame.

"I was shocked," says Marwa, Egypt's first female ship's captain.

At the time of the Suez blockage, Ms Elselehdar was working as a first mate, in command of the Aida IV, hundreds of miles away in Alexandria.

Rumours about Marwa Elselehdar's role on the Ever Given were largely spurred by screenshots of a fake news headline - supposedly published by Arab News - which said she was involved in the Suez incident.

The doctored image appears to be from a genuine Arab News story, released on 22 March, which profiles Marwa's success as Egypt's first female ship captain. The picture has been shared dozens of times on Twitter and Facebook.

Several Twitter accounts under her name have also spread false claims that she was in involved with the Ever Given.

Marwa Elselehdar, 29, told the BBC she has no idea who first spread the story or why they did it.

"I felt that I might be targeted maybe because I'm a successful female in this field or because I'm Egyptian, but I'm not sure," she said.

Though the academy only accepted men at the time, she applied anyway and was granted permission to join after a legal review by Egypt's then-President Hosni Mubarak.

During her studies, Ms Elselehdar says she faced sexism at every turn.

Now why would anybody in the Middle East prefer to blame a women  L:-)  :uglystupid2: ?

Gusington

So...who's the actual captain?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Quote from: Gusington on April 05, 2021, 09:20:17 AM
So...who's the actual captain?

Possibly someone named "Chris Cillard" as mentioned in this article:
According to USA Today, Rabei said that the captain of the Ever Given, Chris Cillard, has not cooperated with the investigation into how the ship became stuck while passing through the canal last week.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/ny-egypt-wants-one-billion-ever-given-ship-blocked-suez-canal-20210401-bp33jgdm6vgopp6p3oxegrci2q-story.html

Odd thing is, every other article I've seen says the captain has yet to be identified, but most are saying the captain is not being cooperative or answering questions, etc.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Nothing quite like making things worse for yourself by not cooperating :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

So, posted news stories can be just.... made-up?!?   :o  Good thing that kind of stuff can't be pulled around here.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 05, 2021, 11:38:04 AM
So, posted news stories can be just.... made-up?!?   :o  Good thing that kind of stuff can't be pulled around here.  ::)

You did notice that it took less than a day to discover ?
You did notice that the 'news' was spread on social media (mostly Twitter & FB) and not on mainstream media ?

Sir Slash

Oh well then. That makes it OK then, I suppose.  ::)

steve58

The Ever Given has finally left the Suez Canal.  I can bet the next time she sails/tries to sail through the canal, it'll be a major sphincter tightening moment for her captain.

steve58

Dammit Carl!

Pilots with drinking problems?

Sir Slash

FarAway Sooner

These days, it's more likely that they're trying to text while they're piloting the ship.  Or playing Wordle.