Enlisted: War Thunder with an infantry POV

Started by MengJiao, May 13, 2021, 07:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on September 28, 2021, 09:14:19 PM
Iirc the dauntless actually had a good record in real life dogfights.

It's kinda nice to see it in an arcady game.  And in arcady terms its a surprising thing to fly (using the term loosely since... er... arcady flying is an odd thing in itself).  I've shot down two Italian
fighters (RE2000s) with the Dauntless.  I think they have shot me down in the Dauntless about twice as much so that seems reasonable sort of...

The 1000 pound bomb doesn't seem particularly effective -- two 500s might be a better fit for bombing tanks and things.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on September 29, 2021, 02:13:37 PM
Quote from: Destraex on September 28, 2021, 09:14:19 PM
Iirc the dauntless actually had a good record in real life dogfights.

It's kinda nice to see it in an arcady game.  And in arcady terms its a surprising thing to fly (using the term loosely since... er... arcady flying is an odd thing in itself).  I've shot down two Italian
fighters (RE2000s) with the Dauntless.  I think they have shot me down in the Dauntless about twice as much so that seems reasonable sort of...

The 1000 pound bomb doesn't seem particularly effective -- two 500s might be a better fit for bombing tanks and things.

I sorta accidently shot down another RE2000.  He was busy shooting me down when he accidently flew in front of me.  A quick burst apparently was enough to either kill the pilot or make him feel like crashing (since apparently that's the thing to do in the arcady world).  I landed the Dauntless and took a picture in practice mode.  Looks like insigna from May 1942:

W8taminute

^Did you crash land?  Looks like your wing is buried in the grass. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on September 30, 2021, 03:14:18 PM

Yes.  In game terms, I don't think you are supposed to land these planes.  The texture model looks like more of a Darkflow version (I don't know if the Dauntless is in War Thunder or not).

W8taminute

Quote from: MengJiao on October 01, 2021, 05:26:24 AM

Yes.  In game terms, I don't think you are supposed to land these planes.  The texture model looks like more of a Darkflow version (I don't know if the Dauntless is in War Thunder or not).

Interesting.  I'll have to check on this myself.  I thought I had seen a video on YouTube by a gamer called Quadro in which he demonstrated lowering landing gear and touching down but I could be remembering wrong.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on October 01, 2021, 10:59:36 AM

Interesting.  I'll have to check on this myself.  I thought I had seen a video on YouTube by a gamer called Quadro in which he demonstrated lowering landing gear and touching down but I could be remembering wrong.

The planes have flaps and landing gear, but there's no particular game function associated with landing them anywhere.  I guess you could land behind enemy lines but given the air battlefield has a different set of battle zones you'd most likely die due to the "Get back to the battlefield" function once you were on the ground and even if you survived as one guy against hundreds of AI bustling toward the front, you'd still be no closer to a capture zone than if you just spawned normally.

W8taminute

Quote from: MengJiao on October 01, 2021, 02:44:03 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 01, 2021, 10:59:36 AM

The planes have flaps and landing gear, but there's no particular game function associated with landing them anywhere.  I guess you could land behind enemy lines but given the air battlefield has a different set of battle zones you'd most likely die due to the "Get back to the battlefield" function once you were on the ground and even if you survived as one guy against hundreds of AI bustling toward the front, you'd still be no closer to a capture zone than if you just spawned normally.

Good point.  That is probably set up like that to prevent people from "paradropping" into a capture objective zone.

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on October 01, 2021, 03:55:12 PM

Good point.  That is probably set up like that to prevent people from "paradropping" into a capture objective zone.

Yep, you get the "Get back to the battle soldier" message even while you are falling out of the sky.

But here's the
   Spitfire Vb.  Seems to fly okay.   I got it up to about 550 TAS in a dive.  The Spitfire record seems to be 690 (MACH .96), but 550 seems fine.  Apparently there are going to be FW 190s for me to
shoot at in Tunisia.  I haven't seen one yet.  Meanwhile I shoot down the occasional RE2000 in the Dauntless.  I think they still get me more, but I've started saving ammo for them and that as increased my kill ratio.  Also in one case I think I got a head-on kill and dodged.  It's hard to say:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 07, 2021, 01:20:13 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 01, 2021, 03:55:12 PM

Yep, you get the "Get back to the battle soldier" message even while you are falling out of the sky.

I crash landed outside the inplay ground area and died of being outside the battle.  But here are some German Engineers with French MAS-36 carbines:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on October 14, 2021, 02:35:26 PM

I crash landed outside the inplay ground area and died of being outside the battle.  But here are some German Engineers with French MAS-36 carbines:

Things get rough in Normandy:

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: MengJiao on October 19, 2021, 05:47:33 AM
  Things get rough in Normandy:

"And Bubba said, "Major, I can't feel my legs." I told him, "Bubba, you ain't got no legs."

bobarossa

MengJiao

Quote from: bobarossa on October 19, 2021, 02:22:29 PM
Looks like he has an arm for a leg!

In Brooklyn we used to call that a "nominal egg"

W8taminute

Some guys would give away an arm and a leg to be ambidextrous!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd