Mumford's Charge! (Cross Keys, 1862)

Started by MengJiao, November 08, 2022, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

I've played various volumes of the Great Battles of the American Civil War series pretty often over the last 40 years.  It has definitely improved a lot more
than the La bataille mess has.  In fact, I wonder why most pre-radio games don't use its command system (though actually the HEXASIM Napoleon games have
a reasonable command system -- it does require a separate mini map, but that's fine for big battles -- probably not so good for the Shenadoah in 1862)...
anyway, here's an image of a fine (so far) cavalry charge at Cross Keys in the hypothetical event that Fremont suddenly got very aggressive and tried to
wipe out Ewell while Jackson was on the other side of the river dealing with things at Port Republic:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 08, 2022, 09:29:21 AM

anyway, here's an image of a fine (so far) cavalry charge at Cross Keys in the hypothetical event that Fremont suddenly got very aggressive and tried to
wipe out Ewell while Jackson was on the other side of the river dealing with things at Port Republic:

Wow.  That did not go well.  Part of the problem for Ewell is that at this stage of the war, the Yankees have their cavalry at the Brigade level, Prussian style so they don't fill up your
chit pull pool with cavalry activations -- if you're a Yankee and you pull a chit, you get a whole division looking for trouble.  I wonder if that's what the scenario designer expected?
Anyway, there's a heap of trouble for Ewell  (and yeah -- I got Ewell all fixed up on his right flank and his left collapsed so -- time for a new battle):