US Ambassador to Libya and 3 staff members killed

Started by Bison, September 11, 2012, 02:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

In light of that eloquent apology - presumably relations have improved? Have we reached the "I'm OK you're OK" stage now?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

I know I shouldn't be surprised by the apology.  I was really hoping for us to, you know, act like we have a pair.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

Honestly the apology doesn't make much sense. The whole 'freedom of speech' thing. Granted, I have not seen the film but don't filmmakers also have the right in the US to say almost anything? Come on now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 11, 2012, 08:28:02 PM
I bet we end up apologizing for this 'film'    >:(

By the way what film are they all worked up about?

All the news is really mum about this "film." Like really bad journalism mum. They barely mention it and it seems pretty key to the protestors (or at least we are supposed to believe it was key for the protesters).

The CNN article has some strange reference to the film being made by the "expatriate members of Egypt's Christian minority in the United States." Huh?! And apparently they are worked up because it discusses Mohammed's sex life?

The total lack of coherent coverage of this seems to be bizarre.

But, on the other hand, I'm glad this isn't front page today. We need 9/11 remembrance on the front page. Let the hate these people are spewing hit lower pages until tomorrow.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Hmm. If I didn't know any better I'd say that Obama doesn't like whatever Netanyahu might have to say to him. Wonder what that means

QuoteThe president will chat with the "Late Show" host during a trip to New York City next week, according to the National Journal. Letterman's nightly monologues mostly spare the president from satirical ribbing, saving his most cutting remarks for the Romneys ... or even former President George W. Bush.

The news comes on the same day Obama told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu he couldn't meet with him due to a scheduling conflict.

Source: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/09/11/obama-back-letterman

Bison

GDS_Starfury

this crap is going to get worse:

QuoteAugust 6, 2012
IDF Chief of Staff, Lt. Gen Banny Gantz visits the scene of the terrorist attack after the terrorists from Sinai failed to carry out an attack on Israeli soil with a hijacked Egyptian tank.
Photo: Gal Ashuach, IDF Spokesperson's Unit
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MikeGER

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 11, 2012, 08:28:02 PM
I bet we end up apologizing for this 'film'    >:(

By the way what film are they all worked up about?

here is a 'trailer' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntgzoE7rU9A  ...looks like some strange amateurish MontyPython-without-the-fun style mockery?

so i would prefer a hard-fact BBC-style documentary about Mu.ham.mad debunked as the childmolester and warlord that he was, and how he 'monotheisted' the old Moon-God of his clan to destroy the culture of the defeated clans banning their multi-Deity-believe religion to stabilize his regional power (he was very successful with his rule-set -called Quran- to pool arabic tribes so to spread their imperialistic power...and now we have the sh(i)it ) ...and in addition how the backward interpretation ol Islam is growing and their medieval-mindset is secretly sneaking upon us in our societies today, which can be seen more and more if you take a stroll through your local mall on a hot day, see piggy-banks vanish out of preemptive PC and Pizza chain suddenly has only porkfree selections...   

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 11, 2012, 08:34:54 PM
Your President and his administration has already apologized.
QuoteThe Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others
Nobody, and I mean nobody, grovels like this administration.  It is pathetic.

Actually, that apology was issued by the embassy in Cairo, and was later disavowed by the Obama administration.  Now, it doesn't look good when the embassy and the administration they're supposed to work for aren't singing the same song.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

At my current job, if I put out a press release that was later 'disavowed' by the Governor...that would = instant firing

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Discussion on the news this morning is that there are fears that riots may erupt throughout the middle east focused on our embassies.

Our "October Surprise" may be a month early.

steve58

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/12/us-ambassador-to-libya-and-3-embassy-staff-members-reportedly-killed-in-libya/

Please keep them and their families in your thought/prayers today.

Arab Spring gets nasty. It will be interesting to see Os response...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

TheCommandTent

This is the thanks we get huh?  If we are sending them aid it should end immediately.

And what happened to the Ambassador's security.  The article made no mention of it, that I could tell.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 12, 2012, 08:23:36 AM
And what happened to the Ambassador's security.  The article made no mention of it, that I could tell.

Chances are we don't know yet (or have just figured it out and are digesting the details) and are trying to get a handle on it before it goes public.

Centurion40

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 12, 2012, 08:23:36 AM
This is the thanks we get huh?  If we are sending them aid it should end immediately.

If the attackers are connected to the Libyan regime, or if the Libyan government's response is less than harsh in prosecuting the murders, THEN the US and all democratic allies should pull-up stakes from Libya in protest.
Any time is a good time for pie.