PlaceRaider: The Military Smartphone Malware

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 30, 2012, 03:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

The US Naval Surface Warfare Center has created an Android app that secretly records your environment and reconstructs it as a 3D virtual model for a malicious user to browse

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429394/placeraider-the-military-smartphone-malware/

All this kind of crap, from whatever country, is getting out of hand.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

I agree.

I don't care so much that they have figured out that I have two full bathrooms upstairs and a half bath downstairs - it's more the principle in general.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

BTW, a couple of years ago I was watching my network traffic pretty closely. Found some malware being run by Foxcomm. I did some googling and ran across a theoretical paper discussing how this type of app could be used to triangulate position within a building.

The picture I put together (and I could easily be wrong since I'm not a pro at this stuff) is that someone out of Taiwan was trying to figure out by the packets swirling around the network where I was at my in-laws' house.

Why the heck that was important to them is still a mystery to me.

Then again, I could have been wrong. But given all the cyber snooping going on these days, I just assume anything electronic is being read by somebody, somewhere. I'm just disappointed my own government is probably one of the offenders, despite the 4th Amendment. We should be better than this.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.