Women Dropped From USMC Infantry Course

Started by Jarhead0331, October 19, 2012, 05:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

You know that all Israeli women in the military are trained for combat, but not assigned to front line units?
Back around 1973, was at some kind of reception in Athens, Greece, and ran into the Israeli military attache from the embassy.
I knew that women had fought in the first war that the Israelis fought in 48.  Asked him how that had worked out, and if it was a good expereince, why the women weren't in front line units.
His answer was two problems.
In the war of Independence, many of the fighters were former partisans who learned their trade fighting the SS and Einsatzkommando in Russia.  They were a hard bitten lot, but some of the women were just vicious towards prisoners.  They scared their own comrades.
Also, the Israeli army found that units that included women soldiers had heavier casualties.
Not because the women were bad, or fought poorly, but because the male soldiers took a lot of unnecessary risks to keep the women from getting hurt.
This may have been a cultural thing, or maybe just a temporary issue based on the emerging nation of Israel.
However, once the decision was made, the politicians made the military stick to it.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Mr. Bigglesworth

In many cultures carrying loads is mostly done by women. Their legs can be quite strong.

Why do infantry have to carry 80lbs? I am ignorant of what goes in infantry packs.
Ammo, food, water, armour, weapon, what else?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

What if women infantry carry stuff for the males to fight with less crap on their backs? ;)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 19, 2012, 07:39:43 PM
What if women infantry carry stuff for the males to fight with less crap on their backs? ;)

Now you're talking.  Lift the ban!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 19, 2012, 07:34:55 PM
In many cultures carrying loads is mostly done by women. Their legs can be quite strong.

Why do infantry have to carry 80lbs? I am ignorant of what goes in infantry packs.
Ammo, food, water, armour, weapon, what else?

40lbs of body armor, 7lbs for every 100 rounds of ammo (210 round basic load), 7-15 lb weapon, aid kit, one day of MREs, water, specialty weapons that every platoon carries like AT4's or LAWs, mortar rounds, grenades, radios, NVGs, radio batteries, batteries for NVGs, lasers and optics, tripods for gun teams, mine detectors, search kits, detainee kits, extra aid kits, litters.  And that's just for a one-day patrol.  Throw in a rucksack for multi-day missions and the packing list can go up to 100-120lbs.  Ounces add up to pounds and infantry is all about carrying things long distances.

My wife was a soldier.  She led paratroopers in combat and she is one of maybe three women I have met who can (and did) really hack what infantrymen do (all 5'4" of her).  Granted, in today's combat most soldiers wont stray more than 100m from their vehicles so the point is usually moot, but that one time when the mission is to hike up an 11,000ft mountain with 120lbs of gear then you need to have confidence that everyone in your unit can do it.  Even in a volunteer military like ours we have to deal in averages and play to the lowest common denominator.  In our American culture the women do not carry the heavy loads, so until they do (and let's work towards that goal  ;)) I'd have to say adding females to infantry units brigs down their effectivenss overall.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 19, 2012, 08:36:28 PMIn our American culture the women do not carry the heavy loads

I have a friend who's 8 months pregnant.  I dare you to say that line to her face ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Airborne Rifles

Well, my wife just gave birth on Monday...maybe I'll try saying to her face first?  ;D

Electric_Strawberry

As far as I'm concerned, the one factor which should preclude a woman from serving in the infantry is lack of upper body strength.  The infantryman has to carry everything he needs, and/or thinks he'll need, on his back.  In my day, even though we were all issued flak jackets, nobody wore them since they wouldn't stop much of anything.  So, we didn't have to worry about the weight of body armour.  It's all the other stuff that adds up. 

When we would go out, we usually caaried three to five days worth of rations.  Now, these were C-rations, not MRE's.  C rats were cans...and cans meant bulk and weight.  But, the limiting factor was water. Water is very heavy and so we would be resupplied every 3-5 days...five days in the rainy season when we were expected to catch our own additional water from the rain.  For my M-16, I carried about 20 magazines (20 round clips...we didn't have banana clips), four bandoliers of M-16 ammo tied around my waist and another 8-10 bandoliers in my rucksack.  Everybody carried at least a couple hundred rounds for the M-60's.  In addition everyone carried frags, smoke grenades, claymores, additional M-79 rounds, shelter half, poncho liner...and...of course...an entrenching tool.  When you stop for the night, you gotta dig a hole.  Oh...I almost forgot the steel pot.  Somehow, that thing got heavier as the day went along.  I also carried one of our starlight scopes.  That thing weighed about 5-7 pounds all by itself.

We would go out for 10-20 days at a time.  The longest we were out was over 35 days.  I can't imagine a woman being able to physically keep up with that.  And that's just walking around.  What happens when you have contact and there are caualties...AND...the closest LZ is a kiick away?  I wouldn't want to have to rely on a woman to carry me there.

To sum it up, I have no problem with women serving in the military.  There are even jobs where they are superior to men.  But, they really don't belong in the infantry.

bob48

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 19, 2012, 10:38:05 PM
Well, my wife just gave birth on Monday...maybe I'll try saying to her face first?  ;D

Congratulations :)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Quote from: bob48 on October 20, 2012, 06:15:26 AM

Congratulations :)

Indeed! Congrats on the new AR-Mini!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

Congrats!

And in case you do decide to say that to her, it's been nice knowing you.  :D

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Electric_Strawberry on October 19, 2012, 11:06:18 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the one factor which should preclude a woman from serving in the infantry is lack of upper body strength.  The infantryman has to carry everything he needs, and/or thinks he'll need, on his back.  In my day, even though we were all issued flak jackets, nobody wore them since they wouldn't stop much of anything.  So, we didn't have to worry about the weight of body armour.  It's all the other stuff that adds up. 

When we would go out, we usually caaried three to five days worth of rations.  Now, these were C-rations, not MRE's.  C rats were cans...and cans meant bulk and weight.  But, the limiting factor was water. Water is very heavy and so we would be resupplied every 3-5 days...five days in the rainy season when we were expected to catch our own additional water from the rain.  For my M-16, I carried about 20 magazines (20 round clips...we didn't have banana clips), four bandoliers of M-16 ammo tied around my waist and another 8-10 bandoliers in my rucksack.  Everybody carried at least a couple hundred rounds for the M-60's.  In addition everyone carried frags, smoke grenades, claymores, additional M-79 rounds, shelter half, poncho liner...and...of course...an entrenching tool.  When you stop for the night, you gotta dig a hole.  Oh...I almost forgot the steel pot.  Somehow, that thing got heavier as the day went along.  I also carried one of our starlight scopes.  That thing weighed about 5-7 pounds all by itself.

We would go out for 10-20 days at a time.  The longest we were out was over 35 days.  I can't imagine a woman being able to physically keep up with that.  And that's just walking around.  What happens when you have contact and there are caualties...AND...the closest LZ is a kiick away?  I wouldn't want to have to rely on a woman to carry me there.

To sum it up, I have no problem with women serving in the military.  There are even jobs where they are superior to men.  But, they really don't belong in the infantry.

That is a lot of stuff.

The good old days of having a horse eh? So why did cavalry go out of style when they could be used for infantry support? A horse can handle some tough terrain. Why spend a fortune developing a robotic mule when there are horses?

Airborne Rifles

The Army is using mules (the old-fashioned flesh and blood kind) to carry loads in Afghanistan these days. 

Airborne Rifles

And thanks all for the congratulations.  Upon reflection I decided that discretion is the better part of valor and did not tell my wife that the doesn't carry much weight :D.

In all seriousness though, I've watched here deliver two babies now with no drugs whatsoever, so I don't hold many misconceptions about what she and other women can do.  My hat's off to them.