wiki wikiwa wikileaks

Started by 0kult13, February 27, 2012, 02:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0kult13

"On Monday February 27th, 2012, WikiLeaks began publishing The Global Intelligence Files, over five million e-mails from the Texas headquartered "global intelligence" company Stratfor. The e-mails date between July 2004 and late December 2011. They reveal the inner workings of a company that fronts as an intelligence publisher, but provides confidential intelligence services to large corporations, such as Bhopal's Dow Chemical Co., Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon and government agencies, including the US Department of Homeland Security, the US Marines and the US Defence Intelligence Agency. The emails show Stratfor's web of informers, pay-off structure, payment laundering techniques and psychological methods."

http://wikileaks.org/

The peoples intelligence agency has a load more stuff out today  ;D

Staggerwing

Gloat much?

I must confess that I have mixed feelings about this kind of thing. In days of yore responsible editors and reporters would
try to strike a balance between the public's need to know about corporate and governmental misdeeds and the need for
temporary or long term silence for the public good.  Now that mainstream news is just a commodity and a form of bread
and circuses and the only way these misdeeds get into the light is by this kind of data carpet bombing that frequently
descends into  nothing more than information hooliganism. I miss the Edward R Murrows and the Ben Bradleys. They've
all been replaced by Game Show producers and Jerry Springer.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

0kult13

"information hooliganism" love it, i may have to steal that for future conversations

Jarhead0331

I just don't get it...do you even realize what you're all excited about?  And if you do, why are you so flippin' happy about it?

Yes, Stratfor is a publisher and analyzer of global geopolitical information, ie. intelligence, and its clients include government agencies, military officials and corporations, most of which are using the information to protect themselves from and/or combat global terrorists, like the Taliban, Al Qaeda, and your friends in Iran.  SO I ask you again, why is this such a great thing?

The leaked information was stolen from Stratfor by the "loose-knit hacker group Anonymous" who also stole credit card information and other confidential personal information of subscribers.  I presume you also support this kind of criminal activity, Okult?

...or are you once again, really just a disinterested casual observer looking to share information, like you were when you mistakenly supported the notion that Iran should be armed with nuclear weapons?

I knew it wouldn't take long for you to get under my skin here. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

0kult13

Its a current event ? but yes I love wikileaks and Anonymous (Anonymous is not a group rather an idea).

Both a big collective NO to our corprate merged state, data harvesting,war mongering, banker run, corrupt version of society. Iran is not even trying to make a bomb and even if it did so what, they dont try stop anyone else having them, hell every one should have atomic weapons. I see things not in a nationalist way, i.e is my country against your country. More in as the OWS people would say 99% vs 1%. Iran does not threaten me or tax me then tax what i buy or tax me to own a TV, it does not keep me under surveillance or monitor my communications. To me it is the west pushing for war i guess to get out of the economic deppresion. No dought when tentions are high enough there will be some flase flag to kick it of like a military ship being sunk or the like.   

Dont mean to get under yer skin JH its just my humble opinion, and im just a peasant after all, my indvidual opinion counts for nowt in the grand games that are played =).

bayonetbrant

Quote from: 0kult13 on February 27, 2012, 08:09:05 AMIran is not even trying to make a bomb

by their own admission, they are trying to build one.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

0kult13

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 27, 2012, 10:12:14 AM
Quote from: 0kult13 on February 27, 2012, 08:09:05 AMIran is not even trying to make a bomb

by their own admission, they are trying to build one.

According to Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta "Are they [the Iranians] trying to develop a nuclear weapon? No. But we know that they're trying to develop a nuclear capability. And that's what concerns us."

But even if they did so what, even if they had 10, nada not against western powers who have 100's not to mention sat based weapons. Their best weapon is oil and not using the dollar or euro. That said im sure there will be a war with a few nukes for good meausre, but thats a bisons bs corner type thread =).   

son_of_montfort

QuoteThe leaked information was stolen from Stratfor by the "loose-knit hacker group Anonymous" who also stole credit card information and other confidential personal information of subscribers.

This is all I needed to know to form a negative opinion of the action.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Anonymous was sorta a fun and games group until they started to get malicious for the sake of malice.

To my eyes they are rapidly descending into a bunch of anarchists with no other goal than to watch themselves in the headlines.

Lately a number of their moves have moved them from grey hat hackers to black hat, and at that point they become problems for our collective security.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

You love Wikileaks eh? Yeah it's great how they put tens of thousands of lives in danger every time they do something like this.

Okult if you're looking to form a fan club here it's not working.

At least I got a shiny new sig line from this thread though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

0kult13

Quote from: Gusington on February 27, 2012, 02:46:09 PM
You love Wikileaks eh? Yeah it's great how they put tens of thousands of lives in danger every time they do something like this.

Okult if you're looking to form a fan club here it's not working.

At least I got a shiny new sig line from this thread though.

I dont know about that Gusington, So far we have 2 admins and 3 mods in on this thread covering some very controversial topics and everyone is putting their views down in a civil manner. Im sure i could having you guys wearing V masks given enough time  :o

Gusington

Congrats, you're the first and only guy out of 100+ on my list 'to watch' list. 

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on February 27, 2012, 01:07:44 PM
Anonymous was sorta a fun and games group until they started to get malicious for the sake of malice.

When they hit Monsanto, Monsanto gets irritated, fixes the problem and moves on. When they hit the CC and personal info of regular individuals - that causes irreparable damage and cheapens their image as advocates of free information flow.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 27, 2012, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on February 27, 2012, 01:07:44 PM

When they hit Monsanto, Monsanto gets irritated, fixes the problem and moves on.

One could consider hitting a company as a grey hat hacker approach. They should have told them privately they had security holes (white hat), but instead they made it public. Not nice, but it did indeed cause them to fix the problem (grey hat).

When they get destructive, then it's malicious and wrong.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

QuoteWhen they get destructive, then it's malicious and wrong.

One could say the same thing about Monsanto...  ;)

What I mean was, they shouldn't claim to be like Robin Hood, but then mug the rich AND the poor. That just makes them like hoods.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert