Kill your Java plugins...for now anyway

Started by steve58, January 11, 2013, 10:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/10/java_0day/

A new Java zero-day security vulnerability is already being actively exploited to compromise PCs. The best way to defend against the attacks is to disable any Java browser plugins on your systems.

The offending bug is present in fully patched and up-to-date installations of the Java platform, now overseen by database giant Oracle, according to Jaime Blasco, head of labs at security tools firm AlienVault.

"The exploit is the same as the zero-day vulnerabilities we have been seeing in the past year in IE, Java and Flash," Blasco warned.

"The hacker can virtually own your computer if you visit a malicious link thanks to this new vulnerability. At the moment, there is no patch for this vulnerability, so the only way to protect yourself is by disabling Java."

The exploit targets Java 7 update 10 and prior versions. No fix is available and early indications suggest that exploitation is widespread. Brian Krebs reckons the exploit has found its way into crimeware toolkits, such as the Blackhole Exploit Kit, which will use the hole to infect victims with software nasties.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Damn and I just wanted to disable it because it is annoying the hell out of me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Okay, I've unplugged every coffeemaker in the building. Think I'm safe. It was a scary few minutes though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on January 11, 2013, 12:09:45 PM
Okay, I've unplugged every coffeemaker in the building. Think I'm safe. It was a scary few minutes though.

:)

LongBlade

This is real, folks.

If you need help turning off Java on your browsers ask here and we'll try to help you figure it out. I'm running Firefox and turned off both Java and Javascript, though it required visiting two different areas in my browser settings.

LongBlade

Be advised, it looks like it may kill some of the toolbars on these forums.

mirth

I disabled the FF Java plugin yesterday. It shouldn't be necessary to disable Javascript. The two are unrelated beyond a similar name. Disabling Javascript is likely what kills off some of the forum features.

Here's a good link on how to disable Java in a variety of browsers.

https://blog.avast.com/2012/08/30/how-do-i-disable-java-in-my-browser/
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

LongBlade

Thanks. I figured someone would know. I just didn't make the time to dig up an answer.

LongBlade

Quote from: LongBlade on January 12, 2013, 10:05:19 AM
Thanks. I figured someone would know. I just didn't make the time to dig up an answer.

Yay! They're back!

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on January 12, 2013, 10:05:55 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on January 12, 2013, 10:05:19 AM

Yay! They're back!

It's nice when my day job is actually useful ;)

TheCommandTent

When this all passes someone remind us to turn java back on because I know I for one will forget. :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 12, 2013, 05:29:05 PM
When this all passes someone remind us to turn java back on because I know I for one will forget. :)
+1  I will surely forget as well. 

Oracle has claimed they'll have the issue fixed "soon".  ::) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

eyebiter

In firefox you can disable the plugin, but if you want to manually delete it...

32 bit windows
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions

or

64 bit Windows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions

delete the folder CAFEEFAC-0013-0001-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA (name might be slightly different depending on which version of Java you have installed