Why did you join the Army?

Started by Jarhead0331, February 05, 2013, 08:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

...probably not for the same reason as this recruit...

The reason Americans enlist in the military is long and varied, but the motivation offered by this new recruit to his drill sergeant may be a first.

The handwritten note was posted to Reddit a few hours ago by Basic Combat Training (BCT) Drill Instructor Looney82. These are the career soldiers in the green campaign hats who receive raw recruits from every imaginable background in the country. Looney82 has a sterling reputation on Reddit that lends itself to believing the letter is genuine.

A drill sergeant's job a 24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week gig in the Army called "Walking the Trail". It's prestigious and demanding, but challenging and considered an integral part to a successful enlisted career. This drill sergeant was looking to get an idea of why his new Privates joined the military and asked for a paragraph or two outlining their motivations.

This young soldier has been in uniform no more than a few weeks, is sleeping no more than a few hours a night in a large bunk bed filled room with up to 60 or so other recruits. He or she is getting woken up to pull watch, is learning how to use an automatic rifle, a belt-fed machine gun, a rocket launcher, a claymore mine, six types of hand grenades, and a grenade launcher.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bct-drill-sergeant-us-army-lord-of-the-rings-letter-really-private-2013-2

...on second thought, knowing the company I am in over here, maybe you did join for similar reasons... :o
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Longdan

A question I ask myself regularly.  Some things do not have an answer that we want to know.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Longdan

His composition and English skills are at a grad student level.
What is that guy doing in the army?
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Centurion40

Shelldrake

To carry on a family tradition...and for the stories.  ;)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Centurion40

I did it 'cause I thought that it would be cool and help with getting chicks.  And there is a family military tradition as well.

Airborne Rifles

And he's coming to a unit near you! :D

bayonetbrant

he's more in danger of coming your way than my way... ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Airborne Rifles

True.  Seems like he has the right mindset for the job and a sophisticated sense of humor to boot. 

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

btrain

I think the "adventurer" above is just having his little joke while he's inside, like "Poncho Man" here:

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/ponchoman.pdf

Brian

Martok

Quote from: Greybriar on February 05, 2013, 12:11:14 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 05, 2013, 08:51:10 AM

Because I received one of these:

Sonofa...  I didn't know that!  And here all this time I thought you were a volunteer. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

Quote from: Martok on February 06, 2013, 11:27:56 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on February 05, 2013, 12:11:14 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 05, 2013, 08:51:10 AM

Because I received one of these:

Sonofa...  I didn't know that!  And here all this time I thought you were a volunteer.

There were a lot of us "drafted volunteers" back then. The all-volunteer army didn't come about until after I was discharged.

But my father and two of his brothers were drafted in World War II and a third brother who was already in the army had his period of enlistment extended, so you could say it was a family tradition.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.