A long day at the office.

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, February 11, 2013, 01:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Clinton Romesha to get Medal of Honor for Afghan fight

Former Staff Sgt Clinton Romesha, 31, led a battle against hundreds of Taliban fighters four years ago.

About 50 US soldiers were at Combat Outpost Keating near Pakistan when it was almost overrun by insurgents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21415533

Impressive.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Wow. Impressive indeed.

This part sounds eerily familiar to an encounter I can recall happening to the Brits circa 100 years ago.

QuoteThe place was surrounded on four sides by insurgents who had occupied the high ground and began to attack with rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), mortars, heavy machine-gun fire and small-arms fire.

This part is great:

QuoteLast month after learning he would get the award, he told a news conference: "You're not going to back down in the face of adversity like that. We were just going to win, plain and simple."
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on February 11, 2013, 01:37:47 PM
Wow. Impressive indeed.

This part sounds eerily familiar to an encounter I can recall happening to the Brits circa 100 years ago.

QuoteThe place was surrounded on four sides by insurgents who had occupied the high ground and began to attack with rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), mortars, heavy machine-gun fire and small-arms fire.

This part is great:

QuoteLast month after learning he would get the award, he told a news conference: "You're not going to back down in the face of adversity like that. We were just going to win, plain and simple."

The Zulu? Bloody savages are all the same.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 11, 2013, 01:43:15 PM
The Zulu? Bloody savages are all the same.

No, somewhere in my memory the Brits where in Afghanistan circa 100 years ago and managed to set up a base in a valley where the natives proceeded to rain all manner of bad things upon them. In retrospect it wasn't the best location for a base.

Here it helped that we had radios, artillery and air support, and a superhuman hero capable of keeping his unit together.

Longdan

With no criticism of the man intended I seem to remember them endlessly carrying on about
higher ground.  I hate to see this kind of valour and service squandered on something that
slowly goes off the political radar.  He did it for his buddies but how come I read it first
here on a specialty site?
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Quote from: Longdan on February 11, 2013, 03:42:32 PM
With no criticism of the man intended I seem to remember them endlessly carrying on about
higher ground.  I hate to see this kind of valour and service squandered on something that
slowly goes off the political radar.  He did it for his buddies but how come I read it first
here on a specialty site?

I tuned into Fox for a late lunch and the award ceremony was being broadcast live from the White House.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 11, 2013, 01:33:18 PM

Former Staff Sgt Clinton Romesha, 31, led a battle against hundreds of Taliban fighters four years ago.

About 50 US soldiers were at Combat Outpost Keating near Pakistan when it was almost overrun by insurgents.

Impressive.

Very well deserved and he took it like a true hero, humble throughout.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MIGMaster

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 11, 2013, 01:33:18 PM

Impressive.

I betcha dollars-to-donuts that the next COD or MoH game will feature a battle similar to this !!