Yet another computer crash thread

Started by Toonces, February 21, 2013, 10:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

This has really got me stumped.

My computer is doing something weird.  It started yesterday.  I'll go on the internet and the computer will work fine for a few minutes.  But then at some point the cursor will freeze and the whole computer freezes.  Eventually it will start working again after maybe 30 seconds.  This might happen one or two more times, or immediately, where the program internet explorer will crash and I get a pop up window that it's stopped working.

The crash varies, but in general after this crash other programs will start to crash one by one until finally windows explorer itself crashes, I lose all my desktop icons and I have to hard re-start the computer.

After about 3 re-starts yesterday I booted into safe mode and ran a virus scan.  Then I re-started in normal mode and got the crash yet again.  I ran AVG in normal mode and then was able to play War of the Roses for an hour with no issues and even get on the internet and post here.

Today when I got home from work I started up the internet and right away it went into that crash sequence again.  I ran AVG again, whole computer scan with updated definitions and it came up clean. 

The computer is working right now as I write this but I don't know if the problem is just waiting or if it's spontaneously fixed itself.

This is a tough one.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

Less than a year.  I'm wondering if it's hardware related, too.

I haven't done anything new- installed any new programs or hardware or anything like that.

It just crashed. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

after googling 'pc crash, lost icons' it might be a registry error or Iexplorer error.  YMMV
while its a pain in the ass things like this are why I reformat at least once a year.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

last week when it was a frosty 50 degrees out and I woke up all bundled in blankets and sweat clothes I went to turn on my pc but made the mistake of touching the metal frame first.  I got a nice shock and 30 minutes on degaussing my pc so it would start properly.

eyebiter

Do you have the CPU and/or memory overclocked?  Usually you can check temps inside the bios.
If temps are very high, open the case and verify the CPU & case fans are spinning.  Power down, get a can of air and clean dust from the CPU and memory.

If temps are normal, install malwarebytes do a full scan to make sure you don't have any spyware. 
Then load CCleaner, do a registry scan and  let it delete all temp files.

Did you load any new video drivers recently? 

Toonces

Nothing's overclocked. 

The only thing I can think of that is consistent is that the crashes were intially coming out of a powered down (not off) state, except for the re-starts obviously.

I can believe it's registry related.  It's too long to type out, but basically some of the errors are leading me to believe that that could be a component of it. 

Everything's working fine right now.  But I can almost be that I'll let the computer hibernate tonight and then when I boot up tomorrow after work it will immediately crash.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces

Oh man, my computer is seriously pooched.

I just went to play War of the Roses and my Steam library is all jacked up.  A lot of games are fine, but a bunch that were previously installed are showing as not installed.  WTF happened to my registry?

GDS_Starfury

reformat it.  I know it sucks but it sounds like you leave it on all the time and do lots of stuff with it.  consider it a tune up.

MikeGER

Toonces, i also had problems sometimes when i 'only woke up' the PC and had played Steam related or other games before.... also some Matrix games (CoH) sometimes don't like running after 'woke up'  too. 

while you had those crashes some files may have get corrupted.

I would restart the PC and go to Local Drives  / Properties / Tools /  and run the 'disk error check' on your HDs
(terms are in German here so i 'translated' those terms windows uses above... it may read difference but you get the idea). NTFS file system will repair them.   

And adjust to fresh restarting the PC before a game session, especially before any MP or PBEM-server ussage.     

GDS_Starfury

Toonces

It seems to have spontaneously fixed itself.  Weird.

When you reformat, are you saying reformat it to factory condition and then reinstall everything? 

Gusington

Also, how often do you run the clean-disk utilities like defrag and disk cleanup?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

yes reformat to brand new and reinstall everything.  if you have a Windows OEM disk its even better.  just get all the latest drivers first that youll need.  I defrag the hd maybe once a month.