White smoke! a new Pope...

Started by steve58, March 13, 2013, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

son_of_montfort

Woah...

First New World Pope!

First Jesuit Pope!

Big historical moment! I can't help but be extremely excited as a historian, medievalist, and graduate of a Jesuit university!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on March 13, 2013, 10:32:28 PM
Woah...

First New World Pope!

First Jesuit Pope!

Big historical moment! I can't help but be extremely excited as a historian, medievalist, and graduate of a Jesuit university!

It's like Christmas!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

Jesuits scare the crap outa me.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Quote from: Longdan on March 13, 2013, 10:42:12 PM
Jesuits scare the crap outa me.

Aren't Depends covered by Canadian National Healthcare?

Longdan

Jesuits aren't and health Care is a Provincial responsibility.

Bison

Glad to see it's still cool to mock Catholicism here.

besilarius

The only Jesuit joke I can recall.
Three priests are playing golf, a Franciscan, a Dominican, and a Jesuit.
They are having a terrible day, the foursome before them are playing so slow, throws off their timing, the game is awful.
Back in the clubhouse they are asked how it their round was, and they all replied how bad they played, and blamed the four in front of them for playing so slowly.
Well, don't be angry with them, those four were blind golfers.
"Oh my God, " said the Franciscan.  "They were blind?"  He got on his knees and prayed for forgiveness.
The Dominican also starts to pray, "Dear God thank you so much for the gift of sight.  I am so unworthy."
The Jesuit thinks a little, "If they're blind, why don't they play at night?"
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

The only Jesuit joke I can recall.
Three priests are playing golf, a Franciscan, a Dominican, and a Jesuit.
They are having a terrible day, the foursome before them are playing so slow, throws off their timing, the game is awful.
Back in the clubhouse they are asked how it their round was, and they all replied how bad they played, and blamed the four in front of them for playing so slowly.
Well, don't be angry with them, those four were blind golfers.
"Oh my God, " said the Franciscan.  "They were blind?"  He got on his knees and prayed for forgiveness.
The Dominican also starts to pray, "Dear God thank you so much for the gift of sight.  I am so unworthy."
The Jesuit thinks a little, "If they're blind, why don't they play at night?"
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

airboy

I've read up on this.  Some of the mainstream media stuff is either weird or irrelevant.

1] The guy is old.  Only 2 years younger than Benedict when he was elected.

2] He is not a member of the Vatican bureauracry.

3] He has lived a relatively humble life (clothing, using public transport, flying economy, no cook)

4] He has been an outspoken advocate for the poor.

5] He has been a parish priest and a bishop overseeing parishes.  This is closer to John Paul II than Benedict.

6] He has been conservative in terms of doctrine - but all of the Cardinals are.

7] He has been willing to discipline his priests when they get out of line.  Some priests were refusing to baptise children born out of wedlock and he put a stop to that.

steve58

^Hopefully he will do well as the Pope, he has a big job ahead of him.  One item that does concern me is that he only has one lung (removed during his teens due to an infection).  "They" are saying it shouldn't impact his duties, but I imagine that it will as he moves into his 80s...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Longdan

^^ I think it is a positive sign that he is not a European and specifically not Italian.  I know there has been chafing
in Italy since some think the Papacy should have returned "where it belongs".  This furthers the trend and shows
a continued awareness of the world as a dynamic place.  I personally would have rather seen a younger Pontiff
but my family are all Catholics and they seem modestly pleased with the choice.  They wanted the Canadian candidate.

Steelgrave

Some say that his election marks a revolt against the Curia. If so....about time.

I'm not Catholic, but much of my wife's family is. I certainly believe that they can be a very positive force in the world. But they have a lot of housecleaning to do. Here's hoping that Pope Francis carries a big broom.

LongBlade

A humble Pope sounds like an excellent example. I don't know much about him, but the little I've heard I really like.

MikeGER

Its a strategic move. (heh, cardinals were kind of wargaming too  ;D ...battle for souls  ;))

In Latin America (harboring half of all Catholics !) the 'Evangelicalism' -or how its called-? American style (not our centuries old ol'school European version) is spreading through heavy mission activity and so draining more and more members from the traditional catholic population overthere.

So even in the eyes of the most Curia-leaning cardinals, a Pope Francis is the right guy to stem against massive losses there and makes a nice inpact in other (poor) places abroad from Europe too 
(while here in Europe/Germany  ppl are already pretty secular / atheistic anyway, and even catholics already demanding all kind of liberties from strict rules to get implemented. So not much to gain/preserve at this frontline ... those ppl unhappy have already steped away and only a trickle of souls may follow the 'heretic of a catholic rule free life')