White smoke! a new Pope...

Started by steve58, March 13, 2013, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Is he really what he claims though?  Reports are already coming out that he was complicit in Argentina's Dirty War and helped the Argentine government hide political prisoners from an international human rights inspection.

http://www.businessinsider.com/pope-francis-has-links-to-dirty-war-2013-3?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2011/jan/04/argenitina-videla-bergoglio-repentance

bayonetbrant

find me anyone on this planet that they can't find something negative about

you know that no matter who they chose, there was going be something that someone, somewhere was going to find negative to say

that's just the world we live in today
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

As an aside - could this be the origin of the phrase "holy smoke?"
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Keunert

i once stole a rubber as a kid and some years later i did not answer a love letter of a girl i did not find attractive enough to o through the pain of writing. but i never supported a dirty war. well except if it's true that i do it everytime i eat at mc donalds and thus support american imperialism.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

GDS_Starfury

that was like you were channeling your inner longdan.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

son_of_montfort

I wouldn't say Pope Francis I is a huge shake-up of the hierarchy - he may be a Jesuit but he also rejected South American Liberation Theology, so he has some conservativism still in him. That being said, I think he will go in a different direction and I'm excited to see how that turns out. From the recent reports, there were some financial scandals in the Vatican at the highest levels of the Vatican bank and sources say Benedict "retired" so a stronger man could handle them.

I also found out that John Brennan, the new CIA head, graduated from the same Jesuit University as I did (although before I was even born). Pope = Jesuit. CIA = Jesuit educated. I welcome the inevitable conspiracy theories.  ::)  (But I'm really proud of my intellectual heritage!)
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Keunert

if they would like to handle all their scandals they should have chosen Brennan in the first place. come on the guy wears a white robe. who would be intimidated? that would be like being intimitated by Longdan or Longblade or Longjohn Hailey
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Longdan

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 14, 2013, 02:49:24 PM
that was like you were channeling your inner longdan.
That's not quite right. I have personally done my bit to support American Imperialism and a lot of good it did me.
I still eat at donalds occasionally.  Thanks for dropping by Star.  It is not fair to compare Keunert to me.
What would his neighbours think?
If you want some freakin' crazy!! comspiracy crap take a look at this: http://one-evil.org/content/entities_organizations_jesuits.html
These guys are over the moon!
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on March 14, 2013, 02:23:54 PM
i once stole a rubber as a kid and some years later i did not answer a love letter of a girl i did not find attractive enough to o through the pain of writing. but i never supported a dirty war. well except if it's true that i do it everytime i eat at mc donalds and thus support american imperialism.

Hey, you're in Switzerland. You've gotta try to be friends with everyone. Including us.

GDS_Starfury

give us your chocolate, watches and shady bank accounts.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Longdan on March 14, 2013, 03:15:32 PM
If you want some freakin' crazy!! comspiracy crap take a look at this: http://one-evil.org/content/entities_organizations_jesuits.html
These guys are over the moon!

Dan, I said that in jest. Let's not get the attention of the government spider bots and give them a reason to come crawling in by linking it!  :P We already are on too many "watch lists!"

The Jesuits are one of the finest institutions I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, working alongside, and to be educated by. They are, IMHO, a paragon of Christian service and compassion.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

That's quite the endorsement, SoM.

bob48

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 14, 2013, 04:19:29 PM

and gnomes.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on March 14, 2013, 04:52:48 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 14, 2013, 04:19:29 PM

and gnomes.

And hot jodeling maidens.

And a solid Swiss pike or two just for good measure.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!