70% of Americans Favor Public Cameras

Started by LongBlade, April 24, 2013, 05:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

This is interesting.

QuoteThe latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 18% of American Adults oppose the use of surveillance and security cameras in public places. Seventy percent (70%) support the use of such cameras.

I don't mind cameras used by private entities. That's what was used to catch the bad guys from last week.

I'm not convinced I want unlimited placement of cameras in public places by the government.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Too late to decide if we like them or not, whoever owns them.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2013, 06:32:34 PM

QFT. The debate is over. Learn to love them.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2013, 06:32:34 PM

I think Google does.  The gubmint isn't allowed to share them or give them away to anyone else once they're done with them.

Steelgrave

Not everyone is in favor of the widespread use of cameras.....like law enforcement. When it's pointed at them at least.

http://www.photographyisnotacrime.com/

bayonetbrant

QuoteThe latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 18% of American Adults oppose the use of surveillance and security cameras in public places. Seventy percent (70%) support the use of such cameras.

that because 70% of the US public are f'n' morons...  a fact that is continually (re)confirmed on a daily basis.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

W8taminute

The times are a changing.  I just didn't think they would change so soon and so fast.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on April 24, 2013, 07:40:55 PM
Not everyone is in favor of the widespread use of cameras.....like law enforcement. When it's pointed at them at least.

Photographs in public are free game as far as I'm concerned. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on April 24, 2013, 09:59:35 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on April 24, 2013, 07:40:55 PM

Photographs in public are free game as far as I'm concerned. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Maybe a good way to make some cash. Photograph cops, they wrongfully arrest you, you sue and receive nice fat settlement.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

pawelj

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 24, 2013, 08:11:26 PM

that because 70% of the US public are f'n' morons...  a fact that is continually (re)confirmed on a daily basis.

That 70% keeps popping up again and again, don't it?
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

I can't decide if Orson Welles is rolling in his grave or laughing his ass off. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

Well, apparently our concerns about cameras everywhere may be somewhat overblown.

Unsurprisingly, despite having the best tools money can buy, they don't work that well.

QuoteMany residents question the effectiveness of London's system, however. In 2008, only one crime was solved for every 1,000 cameras, according to the city's police. CCTV cameras across Britain also cost authorities nearly $800 million over the past four years, according to civil liberties group Big Brother Watch.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/26/tech/innovation/security-cameras-boston-bombings/index.html?hpt=us_c1

Zulu1966

Quote from: LongBlade on April 26, 2013, 05:38:52 PM
Well, apparently our concerns about cameras everywhere may be somewhat overblown.

Unsurprisingly, despite having the best tools money can buy, they don't work that well.

QuoteMany residents question the effectiveness of London's system, however. In 2008, only one crime was solved for every 1,000 cameras, according to the city's police. CCTV cameras across Britain also cost authorities nearly $800 million over the past four years, according to civil liberties group Big Brother Watch.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/26/tech/innovation/security-cameras-boston-bombings/index.html?hpt=us_c1

Well - one estimate put the number of cameras in london alone at 422,000 - so thats 422 crimes solved. If they were all murders, rapes etc  - I guess its worth it ? CCTV is one of the few growth industries we have left so ....
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

LongBlade

Keynesian economics is typically inefficient as a jobs creator.

Unfortunately we don't have any apples-to-apples comparitors of cost. The number out of that article is

QuoteCCTV cameras across Britain also cost authorities nearly $800 million over the past four years, according to civil liberties group Big Brother Watch.

But that's across the entire nation.

This article is from 2007 and suggests that using cameras does little to improve solving crime and, in fact, seems to suggest that crimes committed in areas with cameras are actually less likely to be solved.

Quote"We have estimated that CCTV cameras have cost the taxpayer in the region of £200million in the last 10 years but it's not entirely clear if some of that money would not have been better spent on police officers.

"Although CCTV has its place, it is not the only solution in preventing or detecting crime.

"Too often calls for CCTV cameras come as a knee-jerk reaction. It is time we engaged in an open debate about the role of cameras in London today."

Source: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tens-of-thousands-of-cctv-cameras-yet-80-of-crime-unsolved-6684359.html

Given that it would appear we're better off without cameras than with them.