3D Printable Gun Plans Siezed by DoD

Started by LongBlade, May 09, 2013, 05:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Hmmm.

QuotePlans for the working handgun were posted online Monday by Cody Wilson, founder of Defense Distributed, potentially allowing anyone with access to a 3-D printer to make a firearm from plastic. The plans, which had been in the works for months, caused alarm among gun control advocates but were seen by some Second Amendment advocates as a breakthrough. More than 100,000 copies of the plans were downloaded before the federal government took the files.

"[Defense Distributed's] files are being removed from public access at the request of the U.S. Department of Defense Trade Controls," read a banner atop the website. "Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/09/dod-forces-3d-gun-printer-defense-distributed-to-pull-weapon-specs-off-website/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Drat! That's what I get for procrastinating... no ABS Ar15 plans left for me. :'(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

and going live on The Pirate Bay in 3...2...1...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MikeGER

kind of rediculous...  ::)

last time i walked through my super-size local homedepot market, along the plumbing aisle ... infront my inner eye suddenly some parts sitting handy next to each other in the shelf were magically connecting to each others ...with a short stray in the gardening aisle, a little venture to paints-department, and taking a casual browsing look at electrics display at the checkout ...a nasty device, including several disarming features by evil German physicist design materialized ...and vision vanished like in distorted dreams, when waiting in line for the checkout finally came to end: with my peacefull collection of just sunflower (could you belive it, knowing me as a Grog;)) plant seed (like to test the king-kong breed) and car-exhaust-fixing my improvised 'field repair grab bag'  (collected from plumbing to fix until my called-in-sick grease monkey of favorite garage has time to screw on the damn real spare) rolling on the counter               

i woudnt trust a print-out plastic gun full of 'Lunker' (casting defect) to withstand the pressure build up in the barrel
...carving a longbow out of yew tree get you further ;D  (first hint: dark wood must be inside...  ;))

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Mr. Bigglesworth

The bullets with casings would still be metal unless they try black powder pushing a rock, so why the big deal?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on May 10, 2013, 05:35:14 PM
The bullets with casings would still be metal unless they try black powder pushing a rock, so why the big deal?

There are legitimate concerns. First, while I'm fine with selling firearms, they should not fall into the hands of convicted felons. Being able to print your own gun kinda goes against that rule. That said, I'm not sure there are any criminals who *can't* get their hands on a firearm if they so desire.

Second, well, second is more theoretical than practical. Having demonstrated you can print one of these, it's hardly going to remain a state secret for long. If not done here, it will be done somewhere, and probably a lot of somewheres.

Personally I suspect that metals will remain the preferred medium for obvious reasons, but this is an interesting idea. I'm also not particularly comfortable with the government seizing these plans without explanation. In this day and age of the internet you can't hide information, nor should you be afraid of it. It will come out. It will be improved. It will ultimately be impossible to stop.

I suspect within months we'll see all kinds of plans for printable firearms appear. If we're lucky it'll remain just small arms.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"The Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance emailed Mr Wilson a document demanding the designs be "removed from public access" until he could prove he had not broken laws governing shipping weapons overseas by putting the files online and letting people outside the US download them."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22478310

It seems like simple logic that they are not "shipping weapons oversees". They are not shipping any weapons anywhere.

I'm not saying its a good idea, I think it was a stupid thing to put something like that online. Anarchist idiot.

Still, it is wrong for a govt to try to sieze all the plans. They should offer to buy it. Enter into a legit 2 party deal.

LongBlade

This was inevitable.

Intentions are almost irrelevant. People intending both good and ill will eventually be able to create these themselves. It will be impossible to stop.

Turnabout, however, is fair play. No reason the CIA couldn't ship a bunch of 3D printers to our allies in a conflict against our enemies, give them some plans and let them make mischief on our behalf.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Better to encourage productive pursuits than encourage counter-mischief mischief. The world doesn't need more idiots blowing shit up.
Turn a al quada guy into pork rinds is a more positive use of matter.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on May 10, 2013, 06:37:28 PM
Turn a al quada guy into pork rinds is a more positive use of matter.

Turn him into pork rinds or turn him on to pork rinds? That is the question...

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Both. Let them be incestuous with themself.

GDS_Starfury

I would imagine its easier for a criminal to get a real gun then it is to get a 3d printer.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.