2X graphic cards from 2010 better than 1X graphic card from 2013

Started by Con, June 06, 2013, 09:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

I am debating about getting a new graphics card to free up a PCI slot in my Alienware Aurora 51.

My setup is 2x GeForce GTX460 cards in SLI mode.  These cards were released in 2010 and still graphically do a great job.  My problem is that the take all the PCI slots up on the Motherboard.  The Aurora 51 I bought in 2010 does not have a USB 3.0 slot.  I currently have over a terrabyte of music on an external hard drive.  I want to upgrade to a 3TB external hard drive (Buffalo Drive Station) and the best recommendation for this drive requires a USB 3.0 slot.  For that I need to get a USB 3.0 card which requires a free PCI slot which are all currently being occupied or blocked by my 2X GeForce GTX 460 cards.

Poking around on the internet the other option is to get a terrabyte internal HD but then my issue is that I am already maxed out for space on it.

I really want a faster data transfer since with this size library my entire computer freezes for minutes when I try and search the music library using iTunes.

What do you tech gurus think?

Thanks
Con

eyebiter

"This problem has been known for years. AppleMobileDeviceService.exe has been in iTunes since version 7.3. People complained on the Apple boards more than two years ago that it was consuming up to 50% of CPU cycles, and thus far it's as bad as it always has been. Mind you, Mac users aren't complaining. Just Windows users."
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/83026

Original thread from 2011
http://discussions.apple.com/thread/3185699?start=45&tstart=0

Mr. Bigglesworth

Use an older PC for music. It does not need the power of your fastest system.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

Better yet, buy an older Mac for better iTunes compatibility. A used iMac with wireless K&M will fit nicely on any shelf or counter. When you want to search you pull the keyboard out from behind the iMac and type away. Then you put it back.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Ha! I actually own more Macs than PCs:

2 white polycarbonate body iMacs ( 1G5, 1 core duo) , 1 gooseneck g4 iMac, 1 aluminum iMac, 1 MacBook core 2, 1 iBook, 1 PowerBook Lombard, and 1 PowerBook Pismo

V

4 various desktop PCs and 2 old Dell laptops. The 2 latest desktops I built myself.

I do admit that I use the latest PC more that the latest iMac as it is more powerful and, right now, sits in a more convenient location. If I have any money left over after moving that may change. I might get myself a new iMac and set it up with Bootcamp or Parallels to run Win7 or 8 when I want to play PC games. We use Macs at work so I need one at home to occasionally do work related stuff.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

What can you possible do with eight Apples? How many paperweights can a man fit on one desk?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.