Main Menu

GPUs and PSUs

Started by Jarhead0331, June 22, 2013, 06:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

So I got a new GPU today...a Nvidia GeForce 660ti.  Problem is, I cannot get it to work.  I have a strong suspicion that it is a PSU problem.  The GPU requires a PSU with minimum 500w.  Mine is 500w.  Is it possible that mine, being a stock PSU is actually a little underpowered?  What else could be the problem other than the possibility that I just bought a bum GPU, which I think is unlikely....
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

eyebiter

Unplug other PC devices power cables (disconnect external USB devices, the power cable to the CD-ROM).  See if this frees up enough power to boot the system?

DoctorQuest

JH. Can you provide a little more detail on the problem? Does it do ANYTHING? I made the mistake of getting a card (once) that was rated higher than my PSU. It at least worked for a while but I did eventually start seeing weird graphics glitches.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 22, 2013, 08:10:03 PM
JH. Can you provide a little more detail on the problem? Does it do ANYTHING? I made the mistake of getting a card (once) that was rated higher than my PSU. It at least worked for a while but I did eventually start seeing weird graphics glitches.

This is what has me worried...it doesn't do anything...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 22, 2013, 08:36:41 PM

could be a dud.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 22, 2013, 08:36:41 PM

Ouch. This is reaching but do you have a friend that could try it in their rig? Otherwise I think LB may be right.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MikeGER

The GPU only consumes the max power when you fire up some demanding game software, in desktop mode it should run even with a borderline PSU.
IIRC the modern GPU all have a second connector for power on the board, which has to be connected with the PSU with an additional cord  (this is shown in the manual) ...usually you get a warning that the power cord is not connected.
at least your display should shows those archaic boot sequence print line, when you start the PC... if its black later when windows should start its a driver setting problem...

Jarhead0331

So I returned the 660 ti and exchanged it for a super clocked 650 ti.  It required only one power connector and the minimum required PSU was 100 watts less than what is currently in my machine.

I load the card in and had the same problem.  I was so pissed off because I was positive it was going to work.  While contemplating why my newish system sucks so bad, my fiance calls me out of my office to talk about something for a few minutes.  When I went back into the room, it was WORKING!  So now I feel like a complete douche.  The 660 was probably working too, but it takes a few seconds to "snap in."  I never gave it enough time apparently.

Anyway, the 650 runs ARMA III with all graphics setting on ultra realistic at 1900 x 1080 with 60 FPS.  This is all I really wanted.  If I add all the AA features, I still get between 30 and 40 FPS which is totally acceptable.  So, the card is $100 less than the 660, but giving the performance I wanted.  So, I think I'm going to hang onto it for awhile.

The lesson though...Power is so important and the current range of cards really require a lot of juice.  My next system will have a PSU capable of AT LEAST 750w.  Preferably 1050w.  This is definitely something I will focus on in the future.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

Worth looking at cooling as well. Some of that gear can produce a lot of heat and that can effect performance.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Windigo

Quote from: bob48 on June 24, 2013, 03:45:08 PM
Worth looking at cooling as well. Some of that gear can produce a lot of heat and that can effect performance.

I have a USB popcorn maker plugged into the back of my new rig... it uses the heat off my GPU
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.