1920x1080 on a 27" LED?

Started by WallysWorld, September 07, 2013, 10:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Thinking of replacing my 23" LED with a 27" because it's getting harder to read the small print with my eyes aging. Does anyone use a 16:9 27" monitor?

I've read that the graphics won't look quite as sharp as on smaller monitors at the same resolution due to the larger size monitor and the same number of pixels. I would like to go to 27", but not at the expense of larger pixels making for poorer graphics.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

eyebiter

Staggerwing

Are you hooked up to the TV through VGA, DVI or HDMI?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: eyebiter on September 07, 2013, 01:12:23 PM
Rather than a a 27" monitor, you might consider a 32" or larger 1080p television instead.

Earlier this year upgraded from a 23" monitor to a 46" LED TV.  Couldn't tell much difference in quality from the monitor at 1920x1080, other than items being larger on the TV.  Shop around and get a display with the fastest response rate >6ms if possible.   

how close are you sitting to that?
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

eyebiter

WallysWorld

Isn't a 46" a little big for just three feet away? I'm sitting about two and a half feet away and I think anything bigger than a 27" is too big from that distance.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

GDS_Starfury

he's going for the home grown IMAX experience.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Boggit

Quote from: WallysWorld on September 07, 2013, 10:41:20 AM
Thinking of replacing my 23" LED with a 27" because it's getting harder to read the small print with my eyes aging. Does anyone use a 16:9 27" monitor?

I've read that the graphics won't look quite as sharp as on smaller monitors at the same resolution due to the larger size monitor and the same number of pixels. I would like to go to 27", but not at the expense of larger pixels making for poorer graphics.
I'm not the only one then. I was thinking of getter a bigger screen for the same reasons.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

WallysWorld

I sit about 2 to 2.5 feet from my monitor so I'm also thinking that 27" might be too big from that short distance.

Mr. Bigglesworth

You get used to it. Im at arm's length on a 42". Very immersive.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

WallysWorld

After much debate (and headaches!) and after staring at a 27" beside a 24" at the store, I've decided to get a 25" instead. The picture on the 27" at 1920x1080 just didn't look as clear as on the 24". For $300 more, I could have gotten a 2560x1440 27", but my 660 Ti probably couldn't keep up with some games at the highest graphic settings.

The Asus 25" looks great with no light bleeding at all. A good improvement from my 23". The 25" are getting to be pretty rare.

Many thanks for all of the replies.