Main Menu

WANT!

Started by bayonetbrant, October 08, 2013, 06:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Alright, I'm calling it:

Jarhead is going to be the first Groghead to get one.

Over/under is within 30 days of release.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

(A more realistic over/under would be within 30 seconds of release if it was actually going to be available for purchase).

$92k USD and taking orders for delivery in 2023.  But human weight limit is 210lbs.  You might have to go on nutra-system, Jarhead.   :-"
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sigwolf

They really should have designed the rotors with a shroud or housing.  That is a lawsuit waiting to happen if that ever makes it to public release.   :hide:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on October 24, 2021, 08:42:18 PM
(A more realistic over/under would be within 30 seconds of release if it was actually going to be available for purchase).

$92k USD and taking orders for delivery in 2023.  But human weight limit is 210lbs.  You might have to go on nutra-system, Jarhead.   :-"

1. I priced this out long ago and its out of my recreational budget.

2. I'm on nutrisystem.

3. I will never weigh less than 210, so this vehicle in its current configuration is not a good fit for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sigwolf on October 25, 2021, 08:44:57 AM
They really should have designed the rotors with a shroud or housing.  That is a lawsuit waiting to happen if that ever makes it to public release.   :hide:

Helicopters and piston aircraft don't have shrouds, nor do rotary-based drones of any size. Any type of housing could adversely impact lift or functionality.  Perhaps a simple frame or bumper to create distance around the rotors, but the only way to ensure safety is to operate and pilot appropriately and safely. I doubt these will ever be common modes of transportation at any time in the near future, and if that appears to be changing, they will become heavily regulated, just as is now happening with drones for commercial and hobby operations.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Sigwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 25, 2021, 08:54:15 AM
Helicopters and piston aircraft don't have shrouds, nor do rotary-based drones of any size. Any type of housing could adversely impact lift or functionality.  Perhaps a simple frame or bumper to create distance around the rotors, but the only way to ensure safety is to operate and pilot appropriately and safely. I doubt these will ever be common modes of transportation at any time in the near future, and if that appears to be changing, they will become heavily regulated, just as is now happening with drones for commercial and hobby operations.

Not an entirely accurate portrayal.  There are a number of helicopters with tail rotor shrouds (though, granted, they are more designed to protect the rotor rather than protecting an idiot from walking into it), and the main rotor is generally above head height in normal operation.  There are also numerous models of recreational drones with full or partial shrouds.  Piston aircraft are also generally operated from much more controlled environments than which this would appear to be designed.  It would just seem that eight rotors of that size all at human height on four corners presents new levels of human-ginsu potential.  :DD

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sigwolf on October 25, 2021, 09:53:46 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 25, 2021, 08:54:15 AM

Not an entirely accurate portrayal.  There are a number of helicopters with tail rotor shrouds (though, granted, they are more designed to protect the rotor rather than protecting an idiot from walking into it), and the main rotor is generally above head height in normal operation.  There are also numerous models of recreational drones with full or partial shrouds.  Piston aircraft are also generally operated from much more controlled environments than which this would appear to be designed.  It would just seem that eight rotors of that size all at human height on four corners presents new levels of human-ginsu potential.  :DD

Good point about some models of tail rotors...but yes, those are intended to protect the rotor, not idiots.

I agree that these will be used in non-traditional operational environments and will therefore need certain modifications that more traditional aircraft do not have. However, these are a novelty and will not be common place. Until they are truly developed for mass use, I don't expect that much more in the way of rotor protection will be a priority.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Windigo

So what's their market? The idle rich?

They'd be able to sell it to me if it had a 500 pound lift capacity and a 200kM range, otherwise it's just an expensive toy
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

jamus34

Quote from: Windigo on October 28, 2021, 03:10:38 PM
So what's their market? The idle rich?

They'd be able to sell it to me if it had a 500 pound lift capacity and a 200kM range, otherwise it's just an expensive toy

You mean like going to space?

Insert witty comment here.

zebon

Toonces

Alright, this isn't something I would want.  However, we appear to have a larger than average number of nerds and geeks on this site, so for you (but not me), check out these Star Wars Lego dioramas that are coming out in May.

Gusington

I'll take two of each.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

there are so many fun things when you dont have kids.  <:-)
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

I'm looking forward to the Lego, 'Firefly' diorama. It only has 11 pieces, the rest are cancelled.  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys