Main Menu

Steam Offline Mode?

Started by Gusington, August 04, 2013, 08:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

But that's the way Steam's always been, right? You can't download and play at the same time.

The one time I tried to do it about a year ago, it stopped my download until I got out of the game. But agreed, it's rather silly.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 05, 2013, 08:30:41 PM
But that's the way Steam's always been, right? You can't download and play at the same time.

The one time I tried to do it about a year ago, it stopped my download until I got out of the game. But agreed, it's rather silly.

Previously, you used to be able to alt tab back to the Steam application after starting play, go to Library/Downloads, and you'd see your download queue there (if more than one game), and a pause button. Clicking on the pause button would restart the download. Alt Tab back to your game, and you were playing one, while downloading to your bandwidth's content.

Pretty much all of that is still true, except that clicking on the pause button doesn't restart the download. No idea why they made the change, ironically during a purported download queue enhancement.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Gusington on December 05, 2013, 08:25:24 PM
^That is correct...this newest issue started after a Steam update today.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the steam login app and steam bootstrapper aren't good communicators. Here's what I think happens, post update:

Steam bootstrapper: C'mon man, start steam! I gots me an update! Areyouthereyet?Areyouthereyet?Areyouthereyet?. . .

Steam login: (Mayberry whistling music in the background) Hey, look at me. Minding my own business. Oh, hey Mr. Gusington. Let's get your Steam running.

Steam bootstrapper: Areyouthereyet?Areyouthereyet?Areyoutherey-- hey hey hey! Looks like somebody's starting Steam around here. HEEEEEY STEAM! I GOTS AN UPDATE (sound of fax handshake). And it's chun-KEY!

Steam login: Doodeedoodeedoo. Oh, look, Mr Gusington's entered his password. What a nice man. I can let him into steam now --- WAIT A MINUTE RELEASE THE HOUNDS WHAT HAPPENED TO STEAM I CANT CONNECT ERROR ERROR ERROR

Steam bootstrapper: Don't mind me. I'm an agent of change. A big chunky agent of change.

Steam login: Your connection to the Internet has failed, as have I. You are now in Steam Offline Mode, or as I know it -- butthurt mode. Alas poor Mr. Gusington, I hardly knew your password. . .

Or something like that.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

So after tinkering/futzing with Steam for 3 days, it works again now. No idea how or why...other than I launched it from the Start menu and not the shortcut. That can't be it, can it?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

it could be.  try erasing the desktop shortcut and making a new one.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Gusington on December 07, 2013, 11:16:54 AM
So after tinkering/futzing with Steam for 3 days, it works again now. No idea how or why...other than I launched it from the Start menu and not the shortcut. That can't be it, can it?

Fwiw, the most I've had to do to get past my post-update login issues is a reboot. I am on win8.1. Haven't had to run in any compatibility mode, or as administrator.

Gusington

Yeah reboots didn't work for me. I'll be thunderstruck if it is the stupid shortcut. That's just ridiculous.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd