.exe using up 50% of CPU

Started by MetalDog, December 12, 2013, 08:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on December 12, 2013, 08:26:31 PM
My computer is moving slowly.  So, I open the Task Manager and look at Processes.  There is something called 'plugin-container.exe' and it is using over 700,000 KB.  I have no idea what that is and how to get rid of it or even if I should.  Help!
I have the same problem with that plugin for FF; it is indeed a resource hog (as is FF itself, as mirth noted).  I still like Firefox, but its memory usage is definitely a problem. 

Quote from: MetalDog on December 12, 2013, 09:45:40 PM
I hear people in the know talking about partitioning their HD for different OS's.  Is it difficult?  Shoot, is it useful?!
I can't testify as to how difficult it is per se.  However, my friend who partitioned my PC for me double-checked with a colleague first to make sure he did so correctly (as he'd never done it before himself), but that it went smoothly enough once he actually carried it out.  He said the key was to make sure you install XP first, and *then* Win7 (or Win8, whichever one you end up going with). 

As to whether or not it's useful/worthwhile, that's really more of a judgment call.  I'd say that would largely depend on how many older games you still play on a regular basis, how well they're known to operate on newer OS's (or not, as the case may be), and/or how attached you are to still wanting to play them. 

In my particular case, I had my machine partitioned largely due to a number of my older games being known for not always playing nice with post-XP OS's -- most notably, Lords of the Realm II, Birth of the Federation, Shogun Total War, and Medieval Total War (four games that, collectively, I've probably spent close to five thousand hours playing...and wish to *continue* playing).  I own several other older games that don't seem to like newer OS's as well, although I don't play them nearly as much as those four I just mentioned. 

However, I'm betting that at this point, I'm the exception to the rule.  Odds are good you'd have no real need to partition your your hard drive the way I did.  (It's probably worth noting that both BOTF and LOTR2 seem to run fine on the Win7 half of my computer -- not just the XP half.) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

I don't think there is mch, if anything, that I would play requiring XP.  I could be wrong, but, we'll find out.  Besides, it looks like I will probably keep this machine, just offline, in case there is anything I need to go back and play :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Mr. Bigglesworth

Chrome also seems like a hog. In task manager 1 chrome session shows up as 4 instances. I assume they are threads?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

Firefox for me is 127.5mb memory and from 0-3% CPU usage.

Chrome is 60mb @ 0CPU (idle page) and 3 background processes 20-23MB 0CPU

Staggerwing

I thinks that's pretty much the case with all primetime browsers as they become mini operating systems in their own right.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

MetalDog,
If you haven't built a computer before, I don't know that I'd recommend it.  I've only done little modifications- adding a PSU and graphics card- and I didn't find it intuitive or even easy.  And those are easy things to install.  Building a computer from scratch?  No thank you.

I know a lot of folks swear by it, but for me, someone who isn't necessarily the most technically inclined, this is a case where it's better to pay someone to do the labor for me.  You're almost certainly better with tools and such than I am, but still.  I bought my computer (and my son's) from ibuypower.com.  You can customize the hell out of it, their prices are reasonable, and you get a warranty. 

Considering how many hours I use my computer, this is one area where I feel it pays to spend a little extra to have it done right.  Just my opinion of course.  I'm sure there's great satisfaction from building your own computer!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

IIRC there are some online shops that let you pick all the parts and then put them together for you. Probably not the most cost-effective way to go though.

I've built two computers myself and almost completely rebuild a third. It wasn't that hard (and I'm not particularly computer savvy) but you want to have some time and patience if you try it. You can also buy 'barebones' computers that have the PSU and motherboard already installed for you. All you need to do is insert the CPU, memory, vid card, and drives (Hard drive, CDrom/DVD etc). The other thing you will need is a copy of your preferred OS. Win8 is pretty cheap and Linux is free. Installing the OS is usually not too hard, just tedious.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

You exercise your brain by doing new things. Doing same old all the time rots it. I say build it. If you do have difficulty you can always take it to a shop at that point. Al least you come out having expanded your horizons.

MetalDog

Thanks for the opinions, fellas.  I'm with Biggs on this one for the experience, if nothing else.  However, I'm willing to take you bet on tools, Toonces.  My dad taught me all I needed to know when I was a kid.  The right end of the screwdriver is the one you drink from ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob