Main Menu

Best iPod?

Started by DicedT, December 13, 2013, 07:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

I want to get an iPod for my wife. Doesn't need to have a camera or anything else. Just something convenient to wear that she can plug headphones in and listen to music while doing housework. Not iTunes, just songs that she can transfer from her computer (mostly MP3 files) to the device.

But there are so many iPods! iPod 4th Gen through iPod 7th Gen, iPod Nano, iPod Mini, iPod Shuffle. I don't need anything expensive or fancy. Just something that will do the job.

Suggestions?

Staggerwing

I would just get the cheapest iPod touch you can find regardless of generation. The touchscreen interface is just so much easier than any 'button only' MP3 player. You could also get her an older iPhone. It functions very much like an iPod Touch and, as a bonus, you can make calls with it (if you get a calling plan).
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DicedT

Maybe I'm better off with an MP3 player?

GDS_Starfury

Yes you would be.  You can't use an ipod without itunes and itunes sucks.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

DicedT

Think I'll get a Walkman.

BanzaiCat

You could get a Coby or a Sony brand MP3 player, but I believe both are Windows-based. I hate syncing crap through WMP to my Windows phone.

iTunes is a pain as Star said, but I got used to using it for not just music, but podcasts, shows, and other stuff.

DicedT

I decided to go with a Sony Walkman.

Michael

bayonetbrant

I've got an iPod Shuffle that I use at work and it works perfect for light listening and not having to manage a ton of playlists

I have a big capacity iPod that I use for travel / home / car

I know a lot of people aren't fans of iTunes, but I've never had a big problem with it.  As long as you're converting your own music and not buying too much through the iTunes store, you're fine, and it's reusable elsewhere with no problems
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Sorry that this comment may be too late, but.....

I have a 160gb ipod that my wife gave me as a hand-me-down.  That much storage space is very useful if you listen to audio books - which can have huge files. 

Staggerwing

iPods are also good places to back up non-media files, saving you the trouble of trying to remember where you left that zip drive with your resume/CV.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

one of the bigger electronic mistakes was getting an ipod.  I should have got an mp3 player but at the time there werent any as capable as the satanic apple device.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.