Modern Christian Martyers

Started by airboy, January 14, 2014, 11:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

If you do not follow the news very carefully you probably think that Christian Martyers largely ended during ancient times.  Unfortunately, there are a number of Communist and Muslem countries that are killing Christians for their faith.

See story at:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/13/the-new-age-of-christian-martyrdom.html#url=/articles/2014/01/13/the-new-age-of-christian-martyrdom.html

PS - I consider this current events and not Religion. This is not about the tenants of faith, but being tortured and killed for being a believer in a religion.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: airboy on January 14, 2014, 11:48:33 AM
If you do not follow the news very carefully you probably think that Christian Martyers largely ended during ancient times.  Unfortunately, there are a number of Communist and Muslem countries that are killing Christians for their faith.

See story at:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/13/the-new-age-of-christian-martyrdom.html#url=/articles/2014/01/13/the-new-age-of-christian-martyrdom.html

PS - I consider this current events and not Religion. This is not about the tenants of faith, but being tortured and killed for being a believer in a religion.

Of course it's a religious issue for you. Even the article you quote points out that Syria and North Korea are doing a pretty spectacular job of killing people regardless of their faith. This is not surprising to anyone. Yet you need to couch their generally anti-human fucktardary in terms of "Christian Martyrdom."
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Bison

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Atilla60

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

pawelj

I think the point he is trying to make is that in case of Syria and North Korean regime, people are being killed and otherwise oppressed for many "reasons", most not related to their victims Christian religion. I think it is more important focus on a general oppressive nature of the perpetrators, rather then some unique attribute of the victim which may be taken as a "rationale" for oppression. Christian victims of North Korean regime or Islamists in Syria are no better or worse then other non-Christian victims, and some perpetrators are not any better because they do not target Christians, and other are worse because they do.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Bison

I think you also missed the point of the article pawelj, but that to be expected since your views are quite well known. 

Jarhead0331

6,000,000 Jews were killed by the Nazis during WWII.  Its called the Holocaust.

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with this thread.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

pawelj

Quote from: Bison on January 16, 2014, 09:24:09 AM
I think you also missed the point of the article pawelj, but that to be expected since your views are quite well known.
Which is...?
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

FarAway Sooner

I read the article.  I find the details in there horrifying.

But I couldn't help but rest very uneasy with the article's emphasis on the Christianity of the victims.  It seemed to imply that all of these Christians were martyred due exclusively to their faith.

In another thread currently near the top of this board, Airboy had questioned the methodology behind quantification of wealth in the developing world.  If you're going to find fault with how Oxfam calculated wealth for people, how can you not at least raise concerns around how The Daily Beast assesses the motivations of the killers and the martyred status of their victims?

Let me repeat again:  What's happening in this article is horrific and atrocious.
  The pointless, brutal death of fellow Christians, many of whom died for their faith, troubles me deeply.

But the emphasis on Christian deaths in the article seems to ignore the more general issue here, which is religious persecution.  I'll avoid quoting text out of passages like Luke: 10-27 here, but it seems like the bigger problem (or maybe just the root cause of the problem?) in this article is labeling folks based on their religion, and then using those labels as an excuse to hurt people.

In that sense, the article's emphasis on Christian deaths is unsatisfying to me, as a humanist and a Christian.  But if that statement is making it too likely to head to R&P, I can dial the commentary back in further discussions or happily delete this last paragraph.