Main Menu

PC problem..

Started by TacticalWargames, August 08, 2014, 05:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

My PC has decided to power off then take awhile before it will turn back on whenever I have a graphic intensive game running. Started doing i when playing Graviteam Tactics. Thing is my temps all seem fine.

Any ideas?

Staggerwing

How many watts does your PSU supply v. the needs of your GFX card/board/drives/ etc?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TacticalWargames

PSU is 800watts so thats fine. Plus it's been working fine for months now. Though I think the problem does lye with the PSU.

Staggerwing

You can get fairly inexpensive PSU testers these days from places that sell computer parts and bare-bones setups such as Newegg.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

eyebiter

Greybriar

Eyebiter's right. Take it outside, remove the cover from the case, and blow the dust inside the case away with some compressed air. It has been my experience that a PC powering off is usually an indication that it is overheating and a coating of dust is quite often the culprit.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

TacticalWargames

OK will do..opened yesterday to check if nothing had come loose..last time this happened god knows how but the CPU heatsink\fan had come loose!!

Thanks everyone.

TacticalWargames

Turns out it  was my Bios instead of giving me a warning about CPU temp it was just shutting off..plus the warning was way to low at 50 degrees.