Cryptolocker ransomed my pc!

Started by Yskonyn, March 08, 2014, 11:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I dont think Cryptolocker nests into the BIOS. At least I do not read anything about that, do you have a link with more info on this, eyebiter?

My system is up an running again after a format. Luckily nothing was destroyed which could not be replaced.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

eyebiter

eyebiter

Mr. Bigglesworth

I used to have this awesome gaming motherboard with 2 bioses. If one failed you would flip a connection to the backup. MSI IIRC.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Swatter

I have a Dropbox account where everything stored within the Dropbox directory is automatically backed up online. Another arrow in your quiver of defense.

I think Bitcoin is very scary. How else can one be extorted from anywhere in the world with impunity? Why it is so in vogue these days?

From wiki:

"A 2012 case study report by the European Central Bank noted that Bitcoin shares some, but not all, characteristics of Ponzi schemes and concluded that "it [is not] easy to assess whether or not the Bitcoin system actually works like a pyramid or Ponzi scheme."[134]"

"According to Mark T. Williams of Boston University, bitcoin is over 7 times as volatile as gold and over 8 times as volatile as the S&P 500"

Bitcoin at best seems to be a risky investment, at worst a untraceable way to rip anyone off in the world.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I would never go anywhere near a bitcoin. At least fiat currencies issued by countries are backed by the desire of that country to appear stable.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

Quote from: Swatter on March 09, 2014, 04:01:13 PM
I have a Dropbox account where everything stored within the Dropbox directory is automatically backed up online. Another arrow in your quiver of defense.

The page Eyebiter linked says that your Dropbox folders might still get infected if you have the online folders mapped as network drives.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys