Main Menu

Memory question

Started by GDS_Starfury, March 25, 2014, 12:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

You finally get everything up and running yet? 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

yup  and I think I found out why the last pc died.  power surge from the video card.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Yikes.  :o 

While I'm sure that's not a new thing, it's definitely the first time I've heard of it happening to someone I know. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

undercovergeek

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 15, 2014, 12:37:56 PM
yup  and I think I found out why the last pc died.  power surge from the video card.

the card put out its own surge?  :o

Staggerwing

Wouldn't it be more likely the surge originated in the PSU and was transmitted to the mobo via the GFX card's dedicated power connection and into it's PCI slot?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

I'm actually now thinking its the socket that everything's plugged into because everything I've worked hard for last week just died in the exact same way.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

but here's what I've learned over the last week.  for what I do and what a game I don't need that bleeding edge machine.  I need a decent machine that runs what I do well and get a good graphics card.

undercovergeek

you blew it all up again?

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 15, 2014, 08:54:26 PM
I'm actually now thinking its the socket that everything's plugged into because everything I've worked hard for last week just died in the exact same way.

You don't have a computer-grade surge protector or emergency backup UPS thingie in place?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

I do have a decent surge protector.  it might be a bad cpu.  the MB has red leds all over it for tell tales if things go bad.  so now it starts up but the led for the cpu is on and it doesnt post.  Im going to return the cpu and see what happens.

Martok

F*** me, that sucks Star.  Crossing my fingers that returning/replacing the CPU does the trick. 

GDS_Starfury

cpu replaced with a new one and all it good.

for the moment.

GDS_Starfury

I'm stating the obvious when I say that whatever you plan on spending when building a new pc will at least double if you have any integrity about the subject matter.

undercovergeek

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 19, 2014, 12:20:50 AM
I'm stating the obvious when I say that whatever you plan on spending when building a new pc will at least double if you have any integrity about the subject matter.

does that mean you spent twice as much as you thought you would?

GDS_Starfury

yup.

and worth every fucking dime.